Knights pick up a pair of wins
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Norwin's hockey team came back from a short break for Thanksgiving with a pair of wins against strong opponents.
The Knights topped 2012 semifinalist Peters Township, 4-3, last Friday at Center Ice Arena before knocking off Central Catholic, 6-3, on Monday at BladeRunners Harmarville.
Norwin (5-3-0) needed a comeback to knock off Peters Township (2-3-0), as the Knights scored twice in the final 2:06 to escape with the win.
Tim Palmer scored the game-winning goal with :34 remaining in the game on assists from Dan Merz and Robert Romeo.
Romeo was responsible for getting the Knights back in the game, as he scored unassisted to tie the game at 3-3. Merz scored both of Norwin's earlier goals, both of which were unassisted.
Against Central Catholic (4-5-0), the Knights pulled away with a five-goal second period to break a 1-1 tie after the first.
The first of two goals by Merz, a power-play goal assisted by Palmer and Dante Youhon, tied the game early in the second period, 2-2.
Youhon scored twice in the period and Merz notched his second, and when Central Catholic cut the lead on a goal by Chris McCambridge, Palmer extended the lead back to three goals with his second tally of the game in the final minute before the intermission.
Merz finished with four points in the game, while Youhon and Palmer both had three.
Chad Albert earned both wins in net for Norwin by making 14 and 23 saves, respectively.
The Knights are scheduled to be back on the ice Thursday when they host Butler (3-2-0) at 7:45 p.m. at Center Ice Arena.
Norwin currently is in first place of Section 3 with 10 points, but second-place State College (4-1-0) has three games in hand on the Knights as of Monday's play.
Matt Grubba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5830 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kobani emerges as pivot point
- Steelers notebook: Ex-Steeler Sanders living up to his word
- Georgia Tech runs all over mistake-prone Pitt
- Play to watch: Colts, Luck like to confuse defenses
- West Virginia whips Oklahoma State for 4th straight win
- Motorcyclist flown to Pittsburgh hospital from Tarentum wreck
- High school roundup: Springdale football wins 4th in a row
- Predators GM Poile: Penguins’ firing of Shero not fair
- Frye: Chronic wasting disease news and hunter trends
- Allegheny Valley beats Freeport in OT to win youth league Super Bowl
- Pirates acquire infielder from Indians, designate Axford, Gomez for assignment