Knights pick up a pair of wins
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Norwin's hockey team came back from a short break for Thanksgiving with a pair of wins against strong opponents.
The Knights topped 2012 semifinalist Peters Township, 4-3, last Friday at Center Ice Arena before knocking off Central Catholic, 6-3, on Monday at BladeRunners Harmarville.
Norwin (5-3-0) needed a comeback to knock off Peters Township (2-3-0), as the Knights scored twice in the final 2:06 to escape with the win.
Tim Palmer scored the game-winning goal with :34 remaining in the game on assists from Dan Merz and Robert Romeo.
Romeo was responsible for getting the Knights back in the game, as he scored unassisted to tie the game at 3-3. Merz scored both of Norwin's earlier goals, both of which were unassisted.
Against Central Catholic (4-5-0), the Knights pulled away with a five-goal second period to break a 1-1 tie after the first.
The first of two goals by Merz, a power-play goal assisted by Palmer and Dante Youhon, tied the game early in the second period, 2-2.
Youhon scored twice in the period and Merz notched his second, and when Central Catholic cut the lead on a goal by Chris McCambridge, Palmer extended the lead back to three goals with his second tally of the game in the final minute before the intermission.
Merz finished with four points in the game, while Youhon and Palmer both had three.
Chad Albert earned both wins in net for Norwin by making 14 and 23 saves, respectively.
The Knights are scheduled to be back on the ice Thursday when they host Butler (3-2-0) at 7:45 p.m. at Center Ice Arena.
Norwin currently is in first place of Section 3 with 10 points, but second-place State College (4-1-0) has three games in hand on the Knights as of Monday's play.
Matt Grubba is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5830 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rossi: Pirates must land Lester
- Steelers notebook: Brown calls Sanders’ comments about Roethlisberger ‘terrible’
- Steelers hold high hopes for pass defense
- Joe Greene only 2nd player in Steelers history to get number retired
- After years of lobbying, Big Ben has Steelers running the no-huddle
- Pirates notebook: Trade rumors for Red Sox pitcher Lester still swirling
- Pirates manage to stumble on the bases in bid for sweep of Giants
- Blairsville bar, adjacent building on fire
- Pittsburgh Public Safety Director Bucar upset with DA Zappala for alert
- Former Shady Side Academy standout set to take field for Pitt
- 30 cited for blocking street at union rally at UPMC facility