Quaker Valley boys get rematch with South Fayette
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Quaker Valley boys soccer team expects another tough fight for the Section 5-AA title.
Nearing the start of the second half of the season, the Quakers entered the week 4-1 in section play, their only loss coming at South Fayette, 1-0, on Sept. 11. They beat Keystone Oaks, Obama Academy, Carrick and West Allegheny. The Quakers will meet South Fayette again this Saturday, at home.
Quaker Valley (8-2-0) was co-champion with West Allegheny last year. The Quakers were lone champions in 2010 with a 7-3-0 record.
“It's a tough section,” Quaker Valley coach Gene Klein said. “South Fayette, West Allegheny and Montour all have really good teams.
“It's just like last season, when no one team dominated.”
The top three teams will advance to the WPIAL playoffs, which will begin Oct. 18.
Senior captains Dante Piccolo, Matt Regueiro and Nelson Westwood lead Quaker Valley.
Piccolo, a midfielder, is the team's top scorer with 10 goals and eight assists.
Regueiro, also a midfielder, has two goals and five assists.
A defender, Westwood has contributed three goals and one assist.
Sophomore forward Adam Richert is Quaker Valley's second-leading scorer with seven goals and one assist.
Senior midfielder Seba Pereira has scored four goals and added six assists.
Also playing have been juniors Winter Fondi, Hugh Rice and Matt Delie, as well as sophomores Matt Rodgers and Landon Narkevic.
Fondi is the goalkeeper.
“It's a very hard section, but we're getting better each week,” said Piccolo, who has committed to playing at Lafayette College next year. “We have a good group of upperclassmen to provide leadership.
“A big goal is go to farther in the (WPIAL) playoffs.”
Quaker Valley, which has won six WPIAL titles since 1985, was eliminated in the first round of the WPIAL playoffs the last two years.
Competing in Class A, it lost in the quarterfinals in 2009.
Quaker Valley last won a WPIAL title in 1999, when it was Class AA champion.
Karen Kadilak is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Elizabeth Forward girls soccer looks to extend playoff streak
- Alle-Kiski soccer notebook: Area teams begin section play this week
- Southmoreland boys soccer expects another strong season
- Moon girls team is savoring a return to big-school soccer
- Bitter loss fuels Kiski Area boys soccer
- BVA girls claim South Fayette tourney title
- Questions abound for area girls’ soccer teams
- Valley girls soccer team building winning mentality
- ‘Very quality’ seniors to lead way for Franklin Regional boys soccer
- Connellsville boys soccer team sets sights on postseason
- Plum boys soccer seeks return to AAA playoffs