Ligonier boys' soccer team picks up first win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Ligonier boys' soccer team finished in fourth-place at the Ligonier Valley School Invitational, losing 4-0 to Greater Latrobe Area High School. They grabbed their first victory of the season, winning 7-5 against United High School later that day. The Rams also lost back-to-back games at Central Cambria and Conemaugh Township High Schools last week.
In the match versus United, the Lions scored twice in the first 15 minutes. Justin Hugo scored two minutes later and Jake Nemeth leveled the scores in the 25th-minute. United again went ahead 31 minutes into the game countered by a goal from Robbie Adams a minute later. Ligonier took the lead into the half with a goal from Ethan Brown in the 37th-minute and they never surrendered it.
Zack Yeskey scored for Ligonier in the 46th-minute, though United attempted to mount a comeback, scoring three minutes later. Zack Homyak again put the Rams ahead by two in the 57th-minute, followed in the 77th-minute by a second goal from Robbie Adams. United scored a consolation goal in the 78th-minute, making the final score 7-5.
Against Central Cambria, Homyak opened the scoring for Ligonier in the 14th-minute, a lead the Rams took into the half. In the second half, Cambria scored in the 53rd- and 55th-minutes. Jake Nemeth equalized two minutes later, though the Rams lost after Cambria scored in the 73rd-minute to snag a 3-2 win against the Rams.
Carlos Chavez scored early for the Rams, giving them the edge at halftime over Conemaugh. However, Conemaugh scored in the 63rd- minute, then took the game with a late goal in the 78th-minute to win 2-1.
Peter Turcik is a freelance writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Led by a defense that has allowed just 5 goals, Fox Chapel girls excel in section play
- Norwin shuts out Hempfield
- High school roundup: North Allegheny girls edge Pine-Richland
- Playoff-bound Bentworth beats Monessen
- Jeannette girls soccer team struggles as multiple injuries hamper scoring
- Greensburg high school roundup: Mt. Pleasant shuts out Greensburg Salem in Section 1
- Daily News roundup: Elizabeth Forward, TJ play to 1-1 draw
- Ligonier Valley boys soccer likely has to win out to reach District 6 playoffs
- Experience, familiarity giving Canevin girls soccer a boost
- Stack propels Seton-La Salle to tie for first place
- Serra girls soccer surges into playoff picture