Night games return to Riverview
By Bill Beckner Jr.
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 3, 2012, 9:20 p.m.
Night athletic events might not become a permanent fixture in Oakmont, but the tradition of lighting Riverside Park a couple of nights each fall will continue.
Riverview will set up 10 portable light pods and host a soccer doubleheader Thursday night. The girls team will play Jeannette at 6 p.m., followed by the Riverview and St. Joseph boys at 8.
On Friday night, the Raiders football team will host Shenango at 7:30 on its homecoming night.
Riverside Park's decades-old tradition of Saturday afternoon football games still holds a special place in the community's heart, but lighting the lamps for a few games each year has become a sort of novelty.
“Over the last several years, we have had gate receipts that double the typical amounts for equivalent daytime games,” Riverview athletic director Bob Kariotis said. “The Oakmont/Verona community really does a great job in coming out to support our kids at our annual ‘Nights Under the Lights' events.”
Riverview has been hosting night games with temporary lighting each fall since 2006.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Maatta not a top rookie finalist
- Indictment alleges scheme defrauded government of $10 million
- Penguins insider: Malkin found confidence in Game 3
- Switch in pairings helps Penguins defensemen find groove in Game 3
- State College restaurant plans new statue of Joe Paterno
- ‘Save Chatham’ protesters ordered to leave Shadyside campus
- Highmark’s insurance profit falls 40%
- Kovacevic: No science to solving power play
- Duquesne teachers accept fact-finder recommendations for contract
- Husband to stand trial in Derry middle school teacher’s murder
- Eddie Merlot’s steakhouse attracts with menu, wines, decor