Night games return to Riverview
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Night athletic events might not become a permanent fixture in Oakmont, but the tradition of lighting Riverside Park a couple of nights each fall will continue.
Riverview will set up 10 portable light pods and host a soccer doubleheader Thursday night. The girls team will play Jeannette at 6 p.m., followed by the Riverview and St. Joseph boys at 8.
On Friday night, the Raiders football team will host Shenango at 7:30 on its homecoming night.
Riverside Park's decades-old tradition of Saturday afternoon football games still holds a special place in the community's heart, but lighting the lamps for a few games each year has become a sort of novelty.
“Over the last several years, we have had gate receipts that double the typical amounts for equivalent daytime games,” Riverview athletic director Bob Kariotis said. “The Oakmont/Verona community really does a great job in coming out to support our kids at our annual ‘Nights Under the Lights' events.”
Riverview has been hosting night games with temporary lighting each fall since 2006.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New coach instills fresh attitude in young Penn Hills soccer team
- Cupboard’s not bare for Monessen boys
- Fox Chapel girls soccer returns 10 successful starters
- Experienced Sewickley Academy boys have lofty goals
- Sewickley Academy girls chasing return to postseason
- Defending section champ Ringgold returns just three starters in boy’s soccer
- Seton-La Salle girls soccer team appears strong at midfield position
- Senior leaders take reins for Quaker Valley girls soccer
- BVA girls poised for another big year