High school roundup: Peters Township gets top seeds for WPIAL soccer playoffs
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Soccer success has come quite often at Peters Township this fall, and the Indians boys and girls teams were rewarded for stellar regular seasons Wednesday when the WPIAL named them the top seeds in the Class AAA playoffs.
The two-time defending PIAA champion Peters Township girls, who have a bye in the first round, enter the postseason with a 17-1 record. The boys team ended the regular season 13-1-2.
“Obviously, it's nice (to be the top seed),” boys coach Bob Dyer said. “It's the recognition of the season we put in, but if we don't win three games, it doesn't matter. We are appreciative of it.”
Dyer is concerned about having nine days between games — especially since his team played so well in the final week of the regular season, including a 2-0 win over defending champion Upper St. Clair (15-1-1) last week.
“That was a huge victory. They're a very good team. They hadn't lost all season,” Dyer said. “To get a victory on their soil was very nice. It helped us reclaim the section title. ... I think that game taught us we have the ability to beat the best teams.”
South Park (18-0) earned the top seed for the Class AA boys, and Sewickley Academy (15-0-1) is the Class A boys top seed.
On the girls' side, two defending champions — Mars (16-1-1) in Class AA and Greensburg Central Catholic (14-1) in Class A — received the top seeds.
Postseason play begins Saturday with preliminary- and first-round games.
Greensburg Central Catholic 5, East Allegheny 1— Adam Tucker scored two goals, and Dave Kossol made two saves as No. 4 Greensburg Central Catholic (12-4-1) posted a nonsection win.
OLSH 3, Aquinas Academy 1 — Dan Pollack, Shaun Spencer and Adam Lacaria scored to lead Our Lady of the Sacred Heart (8-8) to a nonsection win.
Riverview 11, East Allegheny 1 — Brandy Polens scored three times and added an assist, and Gretchen Loeffler had two goals as Riverview (9-8-1) scored a nonsection win. Gina Santoriello made eight saves.
Greensburg Central Catholic 3, South Park 2— Frannie Crouse scored two goals to lead Class A No. 1 Greensburg Central Catholic (15-1) to a nonsection win over Class AA No. 4 South Park (12-4-1). Malea Fabean added a goal and two assists.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Former pitcher Allie happily adjusting to outfield
- Pirates chase Mets’ Harvey early in rout
- Coroners, organ harvesting group spar over procurement process
- Pa. gaming industry’s growth amplifies siren call for addicts
- Biertempfel: Despite Marte’s inconsistency, Pirates’ Hurdle keeping faith
- Hempfield train crash search called off; no evidence found
- Ex-Baldwin, Pitt star Pinkston not giving up on NFL dream
- Book details secret to Pirates’ turnaround
- Good season predicted for region’s boaters
- Hempfield pair caught in vehicle scam
- Going the distance no longer part of the game