Belle Vernon Area shuts out Blackhawk, 2-0
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It was deja vu all over again for Belle Vernon Area's boys' soccer team in the first round of the WPIAL Class AA playoffs.
A year ago, the Leps drew Blackhawk and came away with a 1-0 win.
Monday night, at Hopewell, the Leps once against squared off with Blackhawk and this team BVA was a 2-0 winner.
BVA (13-3) got a first half goal from David Wurmlinger and one in the second half from Anthony Zenobi.
Zenobi assisted on Wurmlinger's goal - his 19th of the season - and Wurmlinger returned the favor by assisting on Zenobi's goal.
BVA keeper Alex Robinson stopped 10 shots to record the shutout.
“Alex was just unbelievable tonight,” said BVA coach John Kerekes. “He was absolutely amazing for us. He made some really big saves.”
Kerekes said he felt his team played well, adding the Blackhawk (14-3-1) was a tough opponent.
“They were very good,” Kerekes said of the Cougars. “They have some really skilled players and their keeper did a great job of keeping them in the game. I thought we played pretty well.”
The Leps, who have won seven of their last eight games, will advance to meet West Allegheny (15-2), an 8-0 winner over Waynesburg (12-5-1) in the second round on Thursday at a site to be determined.
Sewickley Academy 8, California 0
Jake Mulholland, Max Prorie and Anthony Stinson each scored twice, and Eric Dietrich and Geffrey Schuchardt added one each to lead top-seeded Sewickley Academy (16-0-1) to a WPIAL Class A first-round victory over the Trojans (7-7-1) at Quaker Valley.
Haden Moyer recorded the shutout for the winners.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL playoff soccer capsules
- Penn-Trafford girls soccer gets first playoff win since 2011
- After reaching playoffs for 2nd straight season, Latrobe girls continue to make strides
- Geibel goalie saves game during shootout, beats Carlynton
- 3 area teams eliminated
- Franklin Regional boys win first section championship since 2008
- Roundup: S. Allegheny stuns Carlynton in girls soccer playoffs
- Serra Catholic boys soccer team loses WPIAL 1st-round game to Avonworth, 1-0
- High school roundup: Quaker Valley boys upset No. 2 Mars
- High school soccer notebook: Riverview, Springdale boys teams gear up for showdown
- Corner kick in overtime means playoffs for Riverview