Carlynton cliips Vincentian boys soccer in shootout
By Jerry Clark
Published: Wednesday, Oct. 31, 2012, 8:58 p.m.
When Mitch Riehle took over the Vincentian boys soccer program, he inherited a talented core of players, many of whom he previously had coached as children.
The team was primed for a run at a title with talents like Mike Haberman, John Michael DiDonato, Alec Costa, Corbin Costa, Nick Bensics, Nick Giltrow and Ethan Andolina.
The Royals enjoyed a 10-4 regular season, riding a nine-game winning streak at one point, but the team dropped three of its last four, including a 2-1 decision in the opening round of the playoffs in a shootout against Carlynton.
“It was a disappointing loss, and I felt we could have played better,” Riehle said. “We played them in the preseason and scored in the first minute of the (playoff) game. Then, we started to play sloppy. Communication lacked, and we had problems passing and funneling. I thought we were the better team; we just weren't mentally prepared.”
The game was tied, 1-1, at the half, and Haberman was hit with his second yellow card, forcing him to sit out and giving Carlynton a man advantage.
After the loss, Riehle reflected on his talented group.
“I will miss the seniors. Four of them I coached since fourth grade,” Riehle said. “They are a talented group skill wise.”
The coach already is looking toward next season and said the group coming back is talented and has the ability to work well together.
“We had a good season, and now, we will look to next year,” Riehle said.
Jerry Clark is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 724-779-6979 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Garden Q&A: Firecracker vine OK for trellis?
- Three ejected after Pirates, Brewers brawl
- Starkey: Penguins’ arrogance astounding
- Egg decorating turns to fight, charges in Brookline, police say
- Cool chemistry: Programs at Springdale library take inspiration from late science professor
- Choral concerts planned in Dawson church
- Plum man revels in Keystone hall of fame induction
- Bridge work planned for Route 68 in Brady’s Bend
- Six NA students finalists in Musical Kids competition
- Study to target pool use at Belmont Complex
- Matt Calvert’s goal in double OT evens series for Blue Jackets