Gateway tops Canon-McMillan in overtime
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Gateway varsity girls soccer team upended Canon-McMillan, 2-1, in a shootout Wednesday, and the program will play in the WPIAL semifinals for the first time in its 27-year history.
The fifth-seeded Gators will take on top-seeded Peters Township in the semifinals on Tuesday. Peters Township defeated Hampton, 1-0, on Wednesday.
No. 2 seed Seneca Valley and third-seeded Bethel Park will meet in the other semifinal contest.
The top three teams from Class AAA advance to the PIAA playoffs, and Gateway is guaranteed at least one game beyond the semifinals.
The third-place team will be determined through a consolation game on Nov. 3, but the Gators hope to be involved in the WPIAL title game that same day and already know they will be in the state tournament.
The semifinal winners automatically qualify for states.
Senior forward Carly Seneca scored Gateway's lone goal in regulation against Canon-McMillan, and after both teams played through two overtime periods, Seneca tallied the deciding goal in the shootout.
Seneca has 24 goals this season.
Gateway improved to 16-3-1 with the victory. Canon-McMillan, the 13th seed, was in the quarterfinals after upsetting Penn-Trafford, 3-1, in the first round.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Valley girls soccer team building winning mentality
- New coach set to lead Greensburg Salem girls soccer
- Hempfield boys soccer adjusting to style change
- South Allegheny girls soccer team seeks elusive PIAA berth
- Greensburg Salem boys look to replace 8 starters
- GCC boys soccer begins new season with young, ambitious coach
- Riverview boys have title aspirations
- Lots of high hopes for Mon Valley boys soccer teams
- Canevin girls take field with new soccer coach this season
- Sewickley Academy girls soccer team undertakes overhaul
- Large soccer squad prepares to compete in Ligonier