Late Mars goal beats BVA
TribLIVE Sports Videos
For the third straight year, the Belle Vernon Area boys made the WPIAL Class AA semifinals.
But the Leps' streak of WPIAL title game appearances ended at one as BVA dropped a heart-breaking 2-1 verdict to Mars.
“It was mostly back and forth and they got the late goal like we did last time,” said BVA coach John Kerekes, whose team fell to 14-4 with the loss. “But I am proud of the guys.”
Mars (18-2-1) got on the board first, and it had a little bit of luck on its side with the tally.
At 23:23, Spencer Posey hooked a shot on BVA goalkeeper Alex Robinson. The ball hit off the left post and then off the far post and went in to give the Planets a 1-0 lead.
However, the lead didn't last long as David Wurmlinger tied the score for BVA at 20:28 on an individual effort that saw him go around four Mars defenders.
“David wasn't going to be stopped on that play,” Kerekes said. “He went left to right around those four players and made about as an impossible shot as you can from 18 yards out.
“They marked him all night with two players, but he played well.”
With 16:12 left in the first half, Robinson made a point blank stop and the score remained tied at the half.
Mars slowly gained control after intermission and while they didn't score, the Planets were deep in BVA territory several times.
With 5:26 left, Mars took the lead when Matt White took a pass from Posey and blooped it over an approaching Robinson and two BVA defenders to score the winning goal.
“That was a nice finish and he got a touch on it over Alex's head,” Kerekes said. “Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose. The kids are disappointed but the season's not over yet.”
BVA plays South Fayette, a 1-0 loser to Quaker Valley in double overtime, in the consolation game Saturday at a site and time to be determined.
The winner will advance to the PIAA Class AA playoffs.
Bill Hughes is a freelance writer for Trib Total Media.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Central Catholic boys seal spot in WPIAL semifinals
- Riverview boys soccer falls to Winchester Thurston in WPIAL quarterfinals
- South Park boys soccer team makes quick work of Knoch
- High school roundup: Quaker Valley boys advance to semifinals
- Geibel rallies past Greensburg Central Catholic in quarterfinals
- Greensburg Salem girls made strides this season
- Knoch’s boys, girls make program history at WPIAL meet
- Thomas Jefferson boys soccer team ousted by West Allegheny
- Penn-Trafford’s Mastrogiacomo scores in OT to secure win
- Second-half adjustments help Burrell boys soccer win in 2OT
- After preliminary-round win, Hempfield girls fall to Seneca Valley in 1st round