Peters Township ends Gateway's WPIAL title hopes
By Michael Love
Published: Thursday, Nov. 1, 2012, 6:50 a.m.
The Gateway varsity girls soccer team was unable to solve Peters Township's defense, and the No. 1 seed defeated the Gators, 3-0, in a WPIAL Class AAA semifinal game Wednesday evening at Baldwin.
Gateway, the No. 5 seed, fell to 16-4-1 with the loss. It played in the WPIAL semifinals for the first time in the program's 27-year history.
Despite the loss, the Gators remain alive and will play Bethel Park on Saturday in the WPIAL consolation contest. The time and location of the game is to be determined Thursday.
Gateway will play for a spot in the PIAA playoffs, which begins Tuesday. The top three WPIAL teams in Class AAA advance to states.
The Gators and Bethel Park met in the regular season, with Bethel Park coming out on top, 4-0.
Seneca Valley, the No. 2 seed, upended Bethel Park, 1-0, in Wednesday's other semifinal.
Peters Township gained the upper hand early in Wednesday's game with a goal 10 minutes into the contest.
The Indians added two insurance goals in the second half to set the final.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- ACC notebook: Coaches keep tabs on players’ bid to unionize
- Pirates notebook: Hurdle familiar with Ike Davis’ lineage
- Search warrant shows 12 items seized from stabbing suspect’s locker
- Casey to promote tax-free savings plan for disabled during Pittsburgh stop
- MLB notebook: Padres’ Johnson to undergo 2nd Tommy John surgery
- A.J. Richardson, wife held for trial over 911 calls
- Suspicious device closes part of Market Square
- Champions come out for ‘Stars on Ice’ at Consol
- Penguins notebook: Injured Goc could return during Round 1
- Former U.S. Steel executive and wife make $500,000 donation
- SUV strikes two girls in Hempfield