Peters Township ends Gateway’s WPIAL title hopes
By Michael Love
Published: Thursday, November 1, 2012, 6:50 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 1, 2012
The Gateway varsity girls soccer team was unable to solve Peters Township's defense, and the No. 1 seed defeated the Gators, 3-0, in a WPIAL Class AAA semifinal game Wednesday evening at Baldwin.
Gateway, the No. 5 seed, fell to 16-4-1 with the loss. It played in the WPIAL semifinals for the first time in the program's 27-year history.
Despite the loss, the Gators remain alive and will play Bethel Park on Saturday in the WPIAL consolation contest. The time and location of the game is to be determined Thursday.
Gateway will play for a spot in the PIAA playoffs, which begins Tuesday. The top three WPIAL teams in Class AAA advance to states.
The Gators and Bethel Park met in the regular season, with Bethel Park coming out on top, 4-0.
Seneca Valley, the No. 2 seed, upended Bethel Park, 1-0, in Wednesday's other semifinal.
Peters Township gained the upper hand early in Wednesday's game with a goal 10 minutes into the contest.
The Indians added two insurance goals in the second half to set the final.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Kovacevic: The smartest man in hockey
- Penguins far from satisfied after Game 2
- Behind Crosby’s hat trick, Penguins sneak past Senators
- Error in 9th allows Pirates to rally past Astros
- Penguins notebook: Malkin makes points run
- Motorcyclist dies after crash in Latrobe
- Ex-Steelers QB Batch learns new form of 2-minute drill
- Pirates notebook: NL Central not so soft after all
- Senators head home to regroup
- Senators notebook: Penguins’ Bylsma backs MacLean for Adams Award
- Pittsburgh officer’s off-duty heroics give toddler chance to live
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.