Peters Township ends Gateway’s WPIAL title hopes
By Michael Love
Published: Thursday, November 1, 2012, 6:50 a.m.
Updated: Thursday, November 1, 2012
The Gateway varsity girls soccer team was unable to solve Peters Township's defense, and the No. 1 seed defeated the Gators, 3-0, in a WPIAL Class AAA semifinal game Wednesday evening at Baldwin.
Gateway, the No. 5 seed, fell to 16-4-1 with the loss. It played in the WPIAL semifinals for the first time in the program's 27-year history.
Despite the loss, the Gators remain alive and will play Bethel Park on Saturday in the WPIAL consolation contest. The time and location of the game is to be determined Thursday.
Gateway will play for a spot in the PIAA playoffs, which begins Tuesday. The top three WPIAL teams in Class AAA advance to states.
The Gators and Bethel Park met in the regular season, with Bethel Park coming out on top, 4-0.
Seneca Valley, the No. 2 seed, upended Bethel Park, 1-0, in Wednesday's other semifinal.
Peters Township gained the upper hand early in Wednesday's game with a goal 10 minutes into the contest.
The Indians added two insurance goals in the second half to set the final.
Michael Love is a staff writer with Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-388-5825 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Robinson: Steelers rookie Wheaton could be impact receiver
- Pens GM Shero: ‘Whole idea’ was in-playoffs improvement
- Veteran Clark envisions finishing career as a member of Steelers
- Key acquisitions have Penguins primed for run to Stanley Cup
- Starkey: Pirates’ Huntington never looked so good
- Penguins to face Bruins in Eastern Conference final
- Biertempfel: Pirates’ Alvarez continues improvement at third base
- 2-vehicle crash sends minivan into Winfield Township bagel shop
- 40 years later, an Indy 500 tragedy too painful to forget
- Local golf notebook: W.Pa. native hopeful for full PGA Tour privileges in 2014
- Ribbon, wristband solemn reminders for Penguins coach Bylsma
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.