Quaker Valley boys soccer team upends Mars for Class AA crown
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Quaker Valley won its WPIAL Class AA quarterfinal and its semifinal in overtime, so it seemed fitting that Saturday's championship against Mars also went into extra time.
And sophomore Adam Richert made sure his team's magic stayed alive, drilling a shot into the left corner of the net with 4.2 seconds left in double overtime to give the Quakers (18-3-1) a 2-1 victory at Chartiers Valley.
“Me and my teammates were getting close,” said Richert, who also scored the overtime winner in the quarterfinals against Hopewell. “Captain Dante Piccolo had a couple nice rips and got close a couple times, (and) I had one.”
No. 4 Quaker Valley dominated both overtimes offensively, but the team missed several chances before Richert's goal — most notably when Matthew Rodgers hit the crossbar in the sixth minute of overtime.
“It was frustrating,” Quaker Valley coach Gene Klein said. “I thought we were controlling things. We were getting good chances, and we just couldn't put one in.”
Matt White scored for Mars (18-3-1).
In the consolation game, Belle Vernon defeated South Fayette, 1-0, on Jesse Kallam's goal to earn a spot in the PIAA Class AA playoffs.
Doug Gulasy is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Alle-Kiski soccer notebook: Area teams begin section play this week
- Moon girls team is savoring a return to big-school soccer
- Elizabeth Forward girls soccer looks to extend playoff streak
- Bitter loss fuels Kiski Area boys soccer
- Southmoreland boys soccer expects another strong season
- Connellsville boys soccer team sets sights on postseason
- BVA girls claim South Fayette tourney title
- Greensburg Salem boys look to replace 8 starters
- TJ boys soccer veterans making return
- GCC boys soccer begins new season with young, ambitious coach
- Valley girls soccer team building winning mentality