SSA girls soccer advances to PIAA semifinals
By Marty Stewart
Published: Wednesday, November 14, 2012, 8:53 p.m.
Updated: Friday, November 30, 2012
It was a big week for the Shady Side Academy girls soccer team as the Indians won a pair of games and advanced to the PIAA semifinals for the first time in school history.
Shady Side opened PIAA play with a 3-0 win over Fairview on Nov. 6.
Maggie Scott scored a pair of goals.
The Indians followed up with a 3-1 win over Sewickley Academy on Nov. 10.
Scott scored another goal, her 37th of the season. The Indians also got goals from Calsey Holshue and Lia Winter, with two assists going to Holly Stewart.
“We played a very poor first half against Sewickley,” SSA coach James Meara said. “Give Sewickley credit for putting us under a lot of pressure.
“We had a very honest halftime talk and came out firing in the second half. It was a big win and it was great to find out that we're the first SSA team to make it this far.”
The win pitted the Indians (17-5-1) against section rival Greensburg Central Catholic (21-1) for the fourth time this season.
That game was played on Tuesday and results were not available at press time.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Mistrial declared in fatal shooting
- NHL insider: Penguins’ Shero seems ready to move Letang
- Crews working on roads in Mt. Pleasant Township
- Mitch’s steals Fayette County win over Dunbar
- Former Pirate speaks at Kiwanis meeting
- Area vice squad on alert
- Quick-hitting storm dumps rain on Valley
- Papini was one of California’s best ever
- 1 killed, 2 hurt in Bullskin crash
- Everson council working on new garbage contract
- Dunbar library wants children to ‘dig’ reading for summer fun June to August
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.