SSA girls soccer advances to PIAA semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It was a big week for the Shady Side Academy girls soccer team as the Indians won a pair of games and advanced to the PIAA semifinals for the first time in school history.
Shady Side opened PIAA play with a 3-0 win over Fairview on Nov. 6.
Maggie Scott scored a pair of goals.
The Indians followed up with a 3-1 win over Sewickley Academy on Nov. 10.
Scott scored another goal, her 37th of the season. The Indians also got goals from Calsey Holshue and Lia Winter, with two assists going to Holly Stewart.
“We played a very poor first half against Sewickley,” SSA coach James Meara said. “Give Sewickley credit for putting us under a lot of pressure.
“We had a very honest halftime talk and came out firing in the second half. It was a big win and it was great to find out that we're the first SSA team to make it this far.”
The win pitted the Indians (17-5-1) against section rival Greensburg Central Catholic (21-1) for the fourth time this season.
That game was played on Tuesday and results were not available at press time.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Cameron hopes to turn Charleroi Area around
- Seneca Valley boys want to build on soccer experience
- BV Area boys’ lineup wide open
- Seneca Valley girls look to claim 3rd straight soccer title
- Defending section champ Ringgold returns just three starters in boy’s soccer
- New coach instills fresh attitude in young Penn Hills soccer team
- Girls soccer preview: Seneca Valley seniors working together to challenge for 3rd straight WPIAL title
- Late start isn’t worrying Ringgold girls soccer coach
- Boys soccer preview: After winning back-to-back WPIAL titles, Peters Township boys hoping to evolve with younger lineup
- Sewickley Academy girls chasing return to postseason
- BVA girls poised for another big year