SSA girls soccer advances to PIAA semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It was a big week for the Shady Side Academy girls soccer team as the Indians won a pair of games and advanced to the PIAA semifinals for the first time in school history.
Shady Side opened PIAA play with a 3-0 win over Fairview on Nov. 6.
Maggie Scott scored a pair of goals.
The Indians followed up with a 3-1 win over Sewickley Academy on Nov. 10.
Scott scored another goal, her 37th of the season. The Indians also got goals from Calsey Holshue and Lia Winter, with two assists going to Holly Stewart.
“We played a very poor first half against Sewickley,” SSA coach James Meara said. “Give Sewickley credit for putting us under a lot of pressure.
“We had a very honest halftime talk and came out firing in the second half. It was a big win and it was great to find out that we're the first SSA team to make it this far.”
The win pitted the Indians (17-5-1) against section rival Greensburg Central Catholic (21-1) for the fourth time this season.
That game was played on Tuesday and results were not available at press time.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Man dies in jump from Route 130 overpass onto passing tractor-trailer in Hempfield
- Conventional gas, oil drillers seek rules differing from shale industry in Pennsylvania
- Starkey: Penguins’ season impressive so far
- Hornqvist’s net-front presence with Penguins could be valuable asset
- Man shot in attempted home invasion in North Braddock
- Figure in probe of improper influence in federal investor visa program gave Rendell $15K illegally
- Alle-Kiski roundup: Knoch baseball topples Hampton
- Pitt football team working to fatten up QB sack total on defense
- Pennsylvania religious freedom law does not extend to for-profits
- Penguins a love affair for Evancho sisters
- Pirates’ search for division title rests on starting rotation’s health