SSA girls soccer advances to PIAA semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It was a big week for the Shady Side Academy girls soccer team as the Indians won a pair of games and advanced to the PIAA semifinals for the first time in school history.
Shady Side opened PIAA play with a 3-0 win over Fairview on Nov. 6.
Maggie Scott scored a pair of goals.
The Indians followed up with a 3-1 win over Sewickley Academy on Nov. 10.
Scott scored another goal, her 37th of the season. The Indians also got goals from Calsey Holshue and Lia Winter, with two assists going to Holly Stewart.
“We played a very poor first half against Sewickley,” SSA coach James Meara said. “Give Sewickley credit for putting us under a lot of pressure.
“We had a very honest halftime talk and came out firing in the second half. It was a big win and it was great to find out that we're the first SSA team to make it this far.”
The win pitted the Indians (17-5-1) against section rival Greensburg Central Catholic (21-1) for the fourth time this season.
That game was played on Tuesday and results were not available at press time.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL playoff soccer capsules
- Yough soccer coaches hold WPIAL title aspirations
- After reaching playoffs for 2nd straight season, Latrobe girls continue to make strides
- Penn-Trafford girls soccer gets first playoff win since 2011
- Mt. Pleasant boys soccer season ends on penalty kicks
- Roundup: S. Allegheny stuns Carlynton in girls soccer playoffs
- Geibel goalie saves game during shootout, beats Carlynton
- TJ keeper secures 1st round win
- 3 area teams eliminated
- Girls’ soccer sites set
- Second-half adjustments help Burrell boys soccer win in 2OT