SSA girls soccer advances to PIAA semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It was a big week for the Shady Side Academy girls soccer team as the Indians won a pair of games and advanced to the PIAA semifinals for the first time in school history.
Shady Side opened PIAA play with a 3-0 win over Fairview on Nov. 6.
Maggie Scott scored a pair of goals.
The Indians followed up with a 3-1 win over Sewickley Academy on Nov. 10.
Scott scored another goal, her 37th of the season. The Indians also got goals from Calsey Holshue and Lia Winter, with two assists going to Holly Stewart.
“We played a very poor first half against Sewickley,” SSA coach James Meara said. “Give Sewickley credit for putting us under a lot of pressure.
“We had a very honest halftime talk and came out firing in the second half. It was a big win and it was great to find out that we're the first SSA team to make it this far.”
The win pitted the Indians (17-5-1) against section rival Greensburg Central Catholic (21-1) for the fourth time this season.
That game was played on Tuesday and results were not available at press time.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Led by a defense that has allowed just 5 goals, Fox Chapel girls excel in section play
- Norwin shuts out Hempfield
- High school roundup: North Allegheny girls edge Pine-Richland
- Charleroi boys soccer dominates Monessen
- Playoff-bound Bentworth beats Monessen
- Freeport makes case for playoffs with 2-1 comeback win over Deer Lakes
- Stack propels Seton-La Salle to tie for first place
- Springdale girls soccer team fights through injuries
- Jeannette girls soccer team struggles as multiple injuries hamper scoring
- Greensburg high school roundup: Mt. Pleasant shuts out Greensburg Salem in Section 1
- A-K Valley high school notebook: Playoff race fuzzy in Section 2-A boys