SSA girls soccer advances to PIAA semifinals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It was a big week for the Shady Side Academy girls soccer team as the Indians won a pair of games and advanced to the PIAA semifinals for the first time in school history.
Shady Side opened PIAA play with a 3-0 win over Fairview on Nov. 6.
Maggie Scott scored a pair of goals.
The Indians followed up with a 3-1 win over Sewickley Academy on Nov. 10.
Scott scored another goal, her 37th of the season. The Indians also got goals from Calsey Holshue and Lia Winter, with two assists going to Holly Stewart.
“We played a very poor first half against Sewickley,” SSA coach James Meara said. “Give Sewickley credit for putting us under a lot of pressure.
“We had a very honest halftime talk and came out firing in the second half. It was a big win and it was great to find out that we're the first SSA team to make it this far.”
The win pitted the Indians (17-5-1) against section rival Greensburg Central Catholic (21-1) for the fourth time this season.
That game was played on Tuesday and results were not available at press time.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Four players selected for All-Star Game
- In 2005, Cosby said he got drugs to give women for sex
- Accident closes Route 22 in Murrysville
- Pawlowski halts his U.S. Senate campaign
- McCandless mom suspected of drowning sons found competent to stand trial
- Torn thumb ligament puts Josh Harrison on DL
- South Carolina Senate backs removing Confederate batte flag from Statehouse grounds
- Pirates get journeyman Ishikawa off waivers; outfielder Marte injured
- Militants launch deadly attacks against Muslims, Christians in Nigeria
- PennDOT team decides what spells trouble on vehicle license plates
- Fake urine merchant sentenced to probation