SSA girls lose heartbreaker in PIAA soccer
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy girls soccer team, after losing to Greensburg Central Catholic three times this season, had the Centurions on the ropes in the PIAA Class A semifinal game at Hampton on Nov. 13.
The Indians had a two-goal lead with 10 minutes left in regulation but couldn't hold on as GCC tied the game in regulation and then won in the shoot-out, 5-4.
The Indians also were beaten by GCC in the WPIAL semifinals two weeks ago.
“It was one of the most amazing efforts of all time for a SSA girls team,” SSA coach James Meara said. “We had GCC on the ropes again, and for a second straight semifinal, the better team lost.
“I am crushed for the girls as their effort on the night wasn't rewarded. It's a beautiful game, but sometimes a cruel one.”
Maggie Scott scored twice for SSA, giving her 39 goals this season. Holly Stewart also scored.
“We will be losing three starters — Lia Winter, Felicia Tissenbaum and Holly Stewart,” Meara said. “They are three outstanding players that will be hard to replace.
“The entire team gave an outstanding effort.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- EF boys soccer team hopes more players means more success
- Trib Cup: Mohawk girls soccer chasing elusive section title
- BVA boys outlast Yough, 1-0
- High school roundup: No. 1 USC edges No. 2 Peters Township in boys soccer
- Geibel boys secure 4th straight shutout victory
- Charleroi Soccer Hall will welcome Duritza
- Sewickley Academy girls soccer team hits its stride
- High school roundup: Bethel Park girls edge Baldwin in double OT
- Monessen, Geibel to battle for 4-A top spot
- Quaker Valley boys soccer team plays through gauntlet
- Jeannette boys soccer team stays positive despite losses