SSA girls lose heartbreaker in PIAA soccer
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy girls soccer team, after losing to Greensburg Central Catholic three times this season, had the Centurions on the ropes in the PIAA Class A semifinal game at Hampton on Nov. 13.
The Indians had a two-goal lead with 10 minutes left in regulation but couldn't hold on as GCC tied the game in regulation and then won in the shoot-out, 5-4.
The Indians also were beaten by GCC in the WPIAL semifinals two weeks ago.
“It was one of the most amazing efforts of all time for a SSA girls team,” SSA coach James Meara said. “We had GCC on the ropes again, and for a second straight semifinal, the better team lost.
“I am crushed for the girls as their effort on the night wasn't rewarded. It's a beautiful game, but sometimes a cruel one.”
Maggie Scott scored twice for SSA, giving her 39 goals this season. Holly Stewart also scored.
“We will be losing three starters — Lia Winter, Felicia Tissenbaum and Holly Stewart,” Meara said. “They are three outstanding players that will be hard to replace.
“The entire team gave an outstanding effort.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- South Fayette girls soccer believing it can go deep into playoffs
- First-place St. Joseph’s boys soccer braces for stretch run
- Quaker Valley girls hope to overcome injuries, losses to qualify for playoffs
- Elizabeth Forward girls soccer fights through challenges
- Big hopes for undersized Riverview boys soccer team
- Fox Chapel boys set sights on postseason
- Belenis, O’Shea, Moir displaying leadership for Brentwood boys soccer
- Bishop Canevin boys soccer gets the better of rival Carlynton
- Balanced attack leads Upper St. Clair girls to fast start
- Franklin Regional girls soccer keeps pace in race for playoffs