SSA girls lose heartbreaker in PIAA soccer
By Marty Stewart
Published: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 8:52 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, November 21, 2012
The Shady Side Academy girls soccer team, after losing to Greensburg Central Catholic three times this season, had the Centurions on the ropes in the PIAA Class A semifinal game at Hampton on Nov. 13.
The Indians had a two-goal lead with 10 minutes left in regulation but couldn't hold on as GCC tied the game in regulation and then won in the shoot-out, 5-4.
The Indians also were beaten by GCC in the WPIAL semifinals two weeks ago.
“It was one of the most amazing efforts of all time for a SSA girls team,” SSA coach James Meara said. “We had GCC on the ropes again, and for a second straight semifinal, the better team lost.
“I am crushed for the girls as their effort on the night wasn't rewarded. It's a beautiful game, but sometimes a cruel one.”
Maggie Scott scored twice for SSA, giving her 39 goals this season. Holly Stewart also scored.
“We will be losing three starters — Lia Winter, Felicia Tissenbaum and Holly Stewart,” Meara said. “They are three outstanding players that will be hard to replace.
“The entire team gave an outstanding effort.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Pens’ Bylsma: Vitale scratch due to faceoff performance
- Steelers quarterback Roethlisberger likes the revamped offense
- Steelers’ Polamalu trim, fit as he arrives for OTAs
- Mayoral nominee Peduto plans city hall house-cleaning if he’s elected
- Penguins Insider: Time is right for Jokinen’s return
- Pitt baseball team wins Big East Tournament opener
- Neal’s solid play soon could pay off on scoresheet for Penguins
- Kovacevic: Pens improve under microscope
- Coach Tomlin, Steelers facing plenty of questions as OTAs start
- Judge grants former Pittsburgh police Chief Harper permission to leave state for visit
- Washington police recover stolen gun, arrest four for drugs
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.