SSA girls lose heartbreaker in PIAA soccer
By Marty Stewart
Published: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 8:52 p.m.
Updated: Wednesday, November 21, 2012
The Shady Side Academy girls soccer team, after losing to Greensburg Central Catholic three times this season, had the Centurions on the ropes in the PIAA Class A semifinal game at Hampton on Nov. 13.
The Indians had a two-goal lead with 10 minutes left in regulation but couldn't hold on as GCC tied the game in regulation and then won in the shoot-out, 5-4.
The Indians also were beaten by GCC in the WPIAL semifinals two weeks ago.
“It was one of the most amazing efforts of all time for a SSA girls team,” SSA coach James Meara said. “We had GCC on the ropes again, and for a second straight semifinal, the better team lost.
“I am crushed for the girls as their effort on the night wasn't rewarded. It's a beautiful game, but sometimes a cruel one.”
Maggie Scott scored twice for SSA, giving her 39 goals this season. Holly Stewart also scored.
“We will be losing three starters — Lia Winter, Felicia Tissenbaum and Holly Stewart,” Meara said. “They are three outstanding players that will be hard to replace.
“The entire team gave an outstanding effort.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Penguins to face Bruins in Eastern Conference final
- Biertempfel: Pirates’ Alvarez continues improvement at third base
- Minor league notebook: Kilcrease shining as reliever for Bradenton
- Francona happy at the helm of rejuvenated Indians
- Laurel Highland Hiking Trail a pathway to adventure for anglers
- 40 years later, an Indy 500 tragedy too painful to forget
- Safety innovations soften Brickyard’s bite for drivers
- Pirates notebook: Cutter a boon for Melancon
- Some doctors seeking business experience to deal with changing health care
- New generation of buyers looking for right homes
- New Ken police investigate infant’s death
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.