SSA girls lose heartbreaker in PIAA soccer
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy girls soccer team, after losing to Greensburg Central Catholic three times this season, had the Centurions on the ropes in the PIAA Class A semifinal game at Hampton on Nov. 13.
The Indians had a two-goal lead with 10 minutes left in regulation but couldn't hold on as GCC tied the game in regulation and then won in the shoot-out, 5-4.
The Indians also were beaten by GCC in the WPIAL semifinals two weeks ago.
“It was one of the most amazing efforts of all time for a SSA girls team,” SSA coach James Meara said. “We had GCC on the ropes again, and for a second straight semifinal, the better team lost.
“I am crushed for the girls as their effort on the night wasn't rewarded. It's a beautiful game, but sometimes a cruel one.”
Maggie Scott scored twice for SSA, giving her 39 goals this season. Holly Stewart also scored.
“We will be losing three starters — Lia Winter, Felicia Tissenbaum and Holly Stewart,” Meara said. “They are three outstanding players that will be hard to replace.
“The entire team gave an outstanding effort.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or email@example.com.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Yough soccer coaches hold WPIAL title aspirations
- Freeport falls prey to Montour firepower
- Breaking down the WPIAL soccer playoffs
- Roundup: S. Allegheny stuns Carlynton in girls soccer playoffs
- Quaker Valley boys soccer saves playoff streak
- WPIAL releases soccer playoff pairings
- VND roundup: Plum ends playoff drought
- Knoch suffers tough loss to Central Valley in overtime
- Knoch girls soccer team ready for rough road
- Unbeaten Central Catholic soccer team proud of its resilient play
- Area booters secure high seeds