Mon Valley stars chosen for all-star honor
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The high school soccer season may be over in the Mon Valley, but a select few players have one more game.
Eleven players representing five area schools will be playing in either the WPIAL Class AAA, AA, or A soccer all-star games Saturday at Moon High School.
The Class A game is slated to begin at 10 a.m., followed by the Class AA game at noon. The AAA game will wrap up the day at 2 p.m.
The Bentworth Bearcats will be represented by a talented trio that helped lead them to the 4-A championship with a 12-0 section record. Nick McCann, Jimmy Liermann, and Cody Levine led the Bearcats to a WPIAL playoff appearance and a 13-5 overall record. Thirty Class A players were selected for the game.
The Class AA game will have a Valley feel to it with six local players among the 34 chosen to participate. Belle Vernon Area leads the way with three selections to the team led by net assassin David Wurmlinger. He'll be joined by Leopard teammates T.J. Radic and Alan Robinson. The three were instrumental in the Leopards drive to the PIAA playoffs. BVA finished 15-5 with a 9-3 section record this year. The Leps fell to Mars in the WPIAL semifinals, but qualified for the PIAA playoffs by defeating South Fayette, 1-0, in the WPIAL consolation game. The Leopards, Hopewell, and Mars are the only schools to have three representatives on the team.
Elizabeth Forward failed to qualify for the playoffs this season but will have two players on the field for the game in Jeremy Staffen and Vince Easler.
Charleroi's Mitch Woytovich will be the Cougars lone representative in the game. Woytovich helped lead the Cougars to a 5-5-2 section mark in Section 6-AA and a 9-6-2 finish overall.
Getting their kicks in the Class AAA game will be two players from Ringgold High School. Nick Cichon and Troy Dolanch will represent the Rams among the 34 players selected for the 2 p.m. finale. Pine-Richland (4) and Ringgold section foe Upper St. Clair (3) had the most players selected to the team.
The rosters will be divided to form teams for the game.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Moon girls team is savoring a return to big-school soccer
- Bitter loss fuels Kiski Area boys soccer
- Elizabeth Forward girls soccer looks to extend playoff streak
- Alle-Kiski soccer notebook: Area teams begin section play this week
- Southmoreland boys soccer expects another strong season
- BVA girls claim South Fayette tourney title
- Gateway boys soccer team aiming for postseason
- Connellsville boys soccer team sets sights on postseason
- TJ boys soccer veterans making return
- ‘Very quality’ seniors to lead way for Franklin Regional boys soccer
- New coach set to lead Greensburg Salem girls soccer