Steel Valley looking for new football coach
By Keith Barnes
Published: Sunday, Dec. 9, 2012, 9:32 p.m.
Steel Valley's Man of Steele has stepped down.
Rod Steele, who has coached the Ironmen football program since 2010, submitted a letter of resignation to the Steel Valley school board that was accepted at its meeting last week. School athletic director Shawn McCallister confirmed the resignation Friday afternoon.
Steele guided Steel Valley to a 16-15 record in three seasons and three berths in the WPIAL Class AA playoffs. The Ironmen, however, could not win a postseason game, as they lost to Beaver Falls in 2010 and to eventual WPIAL champion Aliquippa the past two seasons.
Steel Valley (4-6 in 2012) has not won a postseason game since 2007.
Steel Valley has had its share of injury problems the past two seasons, which have crippled its chances in what has become one of the most top-heavy conferences in the WPIAL. Either South Fayette or Seton-La Salle has won at least a share of the Century Conference title every year since 2007, when Steel Valley went undefeated in the regular season before losing to Beaver Falls in the WPIAL Class AA quarterfinals.
This season the Ironmen lost four of their final five games, including their last three against South Allegheny, McGuffey and Aliquippa.
It is unclear who the district is considering to replace Steele.
Keith Barnes is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 412-664-9161 Ext. 1977.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Garden Q&A: Firecracker vine OK for trellis?
- MLB notebook: Dodgers ace Kershaw pitches simulated game
- Penguins notebook: Gibbons day-to-day after Game 2 injury
- Cole’s strong outing wasted in 14-inning loss
- Starkey: Penguins’ arrogance astounding
- Chicago defenseman Seabrook suspended for hit on St. Louis captain Backes
- Pirates notebook: No rush to judgment by Hurdle
- Abdullah widens lead in Afghan vote tally
- Egg decorating turns to fight, charges in Brookline, police say
- Three ejected after Pirates, Brewers brawl
- Fix the 2nd Amendment with 5 words