Steel Valley looking for new football coach
By Keith Barnes
Published: Sunday, December 9, 2012, 9:32 p.m.
Updated: Monday, December 10, 2012
Steel Valley's Man of Steele has stepped down.
Rod Steele, who has coached the Ironmen football program since 2010, submitted a letter of resignation to the Steel Valley school board that was accepted at its meeting last week. School athletic director Shawn McCallister confirmed the resignation Friday afternoon.
Steele guided Steel Valley to a 16-15 record in three seasons and three berths in the WPIAL Class AA playoffs. The Ironmen, however, could not win a postseason game, as they lost to Beaver Falls in 2010 and to eventual WPIAL champion Aliquippa the past two seasons.
Steel Valley (4-6 in 2012) has not won a postseason game since 2007.
Steel Valley has had its share of injury problems the past two seasons, which have crippled its chances in what has become one of the most top-heavy conferences in the WPIAL. Either South Fayette or Seton-La Salle has won at least a share of the Century Conference title every year since 2007, when Steel Valley went undefeated in the regular season before losing to Beaver Falls in the WPIAL Class AA quarterfinals.
This season the Ironmen lost four of their final five games, including their last three against South Allegheny, McGuffey and Aliquippa.
It is unclear who the district is considering to replace Steele.
Keith Barnes is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at email@example.com or 412-664-9161 Ext. 1977.
- Steelers hope new blocking scheme kick-starts running game
- Senators' Alfredsson clarifies comments made after Game 4
- NHL commissioner Bettman talks Crosby, Olympics, outdoor games
- Penguins insider: Golden opportunity arrives with Game 5
- Steelers notebook: Gilbert hopes to stay on left side of O-line
- Starkey: Pens’ offense blazing historic path
- 3 arrested in break-in at Allegheny Ludlum plant
- Pirates beat Cubs, 4-2, to finish homestand with sweep
- Penguins notebook: Bylsma likes response to adversity
- Former Jeannette hospital attracts Calif. buyer
- Pens will unveil even bigger TV screen for fans in Game 5
You must be signed in to add comments
To comment, click the Sign in or sign up at the very top of this page.
Subscribe today! Click here for our subscription offers.