Scott has high expectations for Shady Side girls soccer team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
After an exciting summer playing for the Beadling Thunder 17U soccer team, high-scoring Shady Side Academy senior Maggie Scott is ready for her final year with the Indians.
“I've been playing all summer, and I'm looking forward to another great season. I didn't work on anything too specific during the summer, but I feel good heading into the season,” she said.
The Beadling team made it to the 2013 National Championships, and Scott was named to the Best 11 team for her age group.
“It was a good experience and a lot of fun,” she said. “We didn't do as well as we had hoped, but we held our own.
“We played all of the best teams. I thought that the California team, even though they didn't win it all, was the best team that we had faced.”
Scott had some familiar faces on the team with her as teammate Zoe Schoen and Fox Chapel Area High School stars Lauren Kelly and Theresa Scheiffarth were also on the squad.
“We've been playing soccer together for quite a long time, and it was a good experience for all of us,” Scott said. “We carpool to the Beadling practices together, and we're good friends.”
With the busy soccer summer, vacations were out of the question.
“We treated the tournaments like our vacations, so it wasn't too bad,” Scott said.
Now, with summer vacation coming to a close, high school practices are under way and Scott, who is SSA's all-time leading scorer with 101 goals, is ready to hit the practice field.
“The seniors want to go out with a bang. Winning the section, the WPIAL and the PIAA championships remain our goal,” she said. “We did good last year, and we only lost three seniors. We have some new players coming up that are pretty good.”
Scott already has her college plans in place.
She will attend Miami (Ohio) and continue playing soccer. The talented midfielder/forward hopes to jump right into the lineup.
“I have a chance. I just have to keep working hard,” she said.
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- High school roundup: Penn-Trafford earns PIAA tourney berth
- Yough’s season ends with 7-0 whitewash
- Geibel boys soccer season ends with loss to Vincentian
- Herald Spotlight Athlete: SSA keeper played key role in run to quarterfinals
- Carlynton girls soccer stunned by early playoff exit
- Sewickley Academy boys soccer heading back to Highmark
- High school roundup: Montour girls upset South Park in semis
- Hilton lone Gateway player on Section 3-AAA all-star team
- GCC focuses on moving past program’s ‘low point,’ return to playoffs
- Geibel rallies past Greensburg Central Catholic in quarterfinals
- Belle Vernon Area girls ousted by Montour