New coach preaches familiar message for success at Vincentian
TribLIVE Sports Videos
There is a changing of the guard for the Vincentian Royals soccer program, as Mich Rihele has stepped aside and former assistant Mike Haberman will take control of the program along with assistant Rich Kearney.
Haberman played soccer for Fox Chapel and grew into coaching for Arsenal, the Northstars and a North Allegheny club team.
Although the majority of his coaching experience came on the girls side, Haberman is excited for the opportunity at Vincentian, and his possession style should work well with his new team.
“We try to keep the ball moving and tire the other team out,” Haberman said.
David Rivetti is an attacker in the midfield and he will be an important player this season.
Another player who will be instrumental is Rege Kearney, a center back, and Patrick Donnelly, who will man the left midfield and outside back.
“Rege, David and Patrick are my senior captains,” Haberman said.
“The seniors will lead the way, but the underclassmen will do their part, as well.
Junior captain Alex Madonna and Norm Gottschalk also will factor into the game plan, and the team will rely on the 12 freshmen.
“Our goal is to go further than last year,” Haberman said. “Win the section and WPIAL … I will count on my captains and drive myself to get the best out of the kids.
“I told them that if they don't dream big, they will never get to the ultimate goal.”
Haberman said the effort has been outstanding thus far and the team has to remember that this is a team sport and that there are no stars on the roster.
“We need 11 guys pulling in the same direction,” he said.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Freeport makes case for playoffs with 2-1 comeback win over Deer Lakes
- Trib Cup: Quick passes key to early success for Beaver soccer
- Youthful East Allegheny girls soccer moving in right direction
- Charleroi, Bentworth keep winning
- High school roundup: North Allegheny topples Pine-Richland in overtime
- Led by a defense that has allowed just 5 goals, Fox Chapel girls excel in section play
- Daily News roundup: Thomas Jefferson boys clinch playoff berth
- Springdale girls soccer team fights through injuries
- Playoff-bound Bentworth beats Monessen
- Norwin girls soccer gets key win over rival Penn-Trafford
- A-K Valley high school notebook: Playoff race fuzzy in Section 2-A boys