Young Jeannette boys soccer team struggling
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jeannette boys soccer is not unlike other young teams long on raw talent but short on experience — they need to learn how to win.
Jeannette did seal one victory, a 4-3, Section 1-A win last Friday over Trinity Christian, but dropped three other games in a difficult two weeks of action that could benefit the team if they can use what they learned in losing to play better soccer moving forward.
“We definitely need to learn how to win,” said Jeannette head coach Mitchell Steele. “We have to learn how to not let a bad goal disrupt what we are doing.”
Bad goals, a recurring issue in Jeannette losses, surfaced early in two losses last week — a 5-1 section loss to Serra Catholic, and a 4-0 loss to section power Greensburg Central Catholic. Both losses stung, but none compare to a 3-2 section loss last Tuesday to Winchester Thurston, a game the Jayhawks feel like they should have won.
“We had that game,” said Steele. “Even when we were down a goal late we had control of the game.”
Helped by a pair of Bailey Chishko goals and solid goalkeeping by Shawn Poth, Jeannette held a 2-1 halftime advantage, but Winchester Thurston scored twice off of set pieces in the second half to take a lead they would not relinquish.
Despite the three losses, Steele has been mostly happy with his team's effort, but also knows that they are fortunate to have Poth playing at such a high level in goal.
“Shawn Poth has been amazing,” said Steele. “He made more than 30 saves against Winchester Thurston, and had more than 30 in the win over Trinity.”
Senior forward Anthony Ruane has missed the last game and a half after turning over on his ankle against Winchester Thurston. Steele is not sure when Ruane will return to the lineup. Jeannette has two section games this week, at Serra Catholic today, and they host Trinity on Saturday.
WPIAL Class A Section 1 standings:
Serra Catholic (4-0-1) (7-2-1)
South Allegheny (2-1-1) (5-1-1)
Winchester Thurston (3-2-0) (6-2-0)
Greensburg Central Catholic (3-2-0) (3-5-0)
Jeannette (1-3-0) (3-3-0)
Trinity Christian (0-5-0) (0-9-0)
Dave Moio is a contributing writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Geibel boys secure 4th straight shutout victory
- Mars girls extend section win streak to 62
- High school roundup: Bethel Park girls edge Baldwin in double OT
- Charleroi ready for showdown
- Playoff losses motivate West Mifflin boys soccer
- Serra boys soccer preps for early-season clash
- EF boys soccer team hopes more players means more success
- Charleroi Soccer Hall will welcome Duritza
- Monessen, Geibel to battle for 4-A top spot
- High school roundup: No. 1 USC edges No. 2 Peters Township in boys soccer
- Trib Cup: Mohawk girls soccer chasing elusive section title