Roundup: Shorthanded Lady Rams win again
TribLIVE Sports Videos
For the second straight Section 4 AAA contest, Ringgold played without seven players.
And for the second straight contest, the Lady Rams won, this time beating Albert Gallatin, 6-0.
“We are hoping to get a few back soon,” coach Tom Cameron said. “I am very happy with the second half, but were only up by one goal at the half.
“We talked in the locker room and gave some constructive criticism and then scored two goals in the first four minutes of the second half.”
Sydney Housley recorded a hat trick for Ringgold while Bailee Bove, Meagan Hyslop, and Kelsey Kaufman each added tallies.
Jordan Curry and Carly Kristobek combined to make four saves to earn the shutout.
South Allegheny 1, Charleroi 0
In a match between two of the top teams in Section 2 A, South Allegheny (3-1, 3-0) picked up the hard-fought win at Charleroi (2-1, 1-1) in a game delayed because of lightning.
After a scoreless first half, 32 Nina Tyszkiewicz scored at the 32-minute mark of the second half and the guests made the goal stand.
Beth-Center 4, Monessen 1
The Lady Greyhounds dropped a Section 2 A contest to Beth-Center, but head coach Bill Halinka pointed out some positives.
“It was a better showing for the girls,” he said. “I saw improvement today and the girls showed emotion.
“We had a talk with the girls and they responded nicely.”
Eden Holland scored Monessen's goal and Halinka also noted the play of goalkeeper Taylor Guzzie.
Yough 3, Mt. Pleasant 0
It took two extra days, but Yough finally got its Section 1 AA schedule under way.
Monday night, Yough was to host Derry in its section opener but the match was cancelled.
While his team was off for eight days, Yough coach Danny Appolonia was pleased with the effort after the team got going.
“This was an important win and a big game since it has been so long since we last played,” he said. “Once we shook the rust off, we played pretty well.”
Shawna Zaken scored twice and Danica Pils had a goal for Yough while Leigh Appolonia made six saves to earn her second shutout of the season.
South Park 4, EF 1
Rachel Collage scored the lone goal for EF (2-2-1, 2-1), but South Park picked up the huge Section 4 AA victory.
Bentworth 4, Char-Houston 2
In Section 2 A, the Lady Bearcats (3-2, 3-0) remained tied for first place with South Allegheny.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Coyotes’ ability to proliferate despite year-round hunting shows need for culling contests, experts say
- McConnell’s 34 points fuel Chartiers Valley’s come-from-behind victory in Class AAA title game
- Steelers not limiting themselves in free agency
- Big names become available this week via free agency; will Steelers be tempted?
- Winnik impresses Penguins in first workout
- NFL notebook: Cowboys to place franchise tag on wide receiver Bryant
- Greensburg pair jailed in convenience store robbery
- Against Wake Forest, Pitt looks to reverse fortunes on road
- Obama’s Keystone pipeline veto
- Under Rutherford, it’s been a sizeable shakeup for Penguins
- Federal funding cuts stretch researchers to the limit