HS notes: Avonworth girls soccer thinking big
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Avonworth girls thinking big
Last Tuesday's 1-0 win over Vincentian at Highmark Stadium gave No. 3 Avonworth a taste of what the WPIAL finals could feel like.
Figure more victories such as Monday's 2-1 defeat of Bishop Canevin, and a trip to Station Square may become more than a dream.
“Playing down there and seeing that as a goal to return there is something the girls realized,” Antelopes coach J.C. Mahan said.
Avonworth has rebounded from a season-opening loss to Highlands to win six straight, the latest when senior forward Thanna Oddo sunk the Crusaders with two goals, the second with about 15 minutes to go.
“We finished it off strong,” Mahan said. “We didn't allow them to have much possession after they scored their goal.”
Oddo leads Avonworth (6-1, 4-0 Section 3-A) with 10 goals, four of them game-winners. Freshman Emily Paszkiewicz has a team-high three assists.
This year's seniors — defenders Hannah Croft and Mairead McDonagh and forward Amelia Nahum — have a school-record 46 wins.
Two years ago, the Antelopes reached the WPIAL Class A semifinals and PIAA playoffs for the first time.
“It's the work the girls have put in over the years,” Mahan said. “We're building a program, not just a one-year team.”
• Talk about extremes. Entering Tuesday's games, Quaker Valley had scored 46 goals in eight matches, all wins, for an average of 5.75 per contest. Chartiers Valley had allowed just one goal through its first eight games, though the Colts played three-time PIAA Class AAA champion Peters Township on Tuesday.
— Jason Mackey
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Baldwin boys soccer team bolstered by strong international influence
- High school roundup: Peters Township, USC girls tie in battle of top teams
- Ringgold flourishing as it changes formation, moves players to new positions
- Charleroi, Fedrick get past Char-Houston, 4-1
- Burrell’s Mazary hopes prolific scoring aids push for playoffs
- Gorman: ‘Doc’ sitting on 300th win
- Kittanning girls soccer battles through low roster numbers
- Valley notebook: Burrell goalie makes most of opportunity
- West Mifflin girls soccer battling for playoff spot
- Jeannette girls battling through offense, numbers issues
- Steel Valley girls look for return to playoff form