HS notes: Avonworth girls soccer thinking big
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Avonworth girls thinking big
Last Tuesday's 1-0 win over Vincentian at Highmark Stadium gave No. 3 Avonworth a taste of what the WPIAL finals could feel like.
Figure more victories such as Monday's 2-1 defeat of Bishop Canevin, and a trip to Station Square may become more than a dream.
“Playing down there and seeing that as a goal to return there is something the girls realized,” Antelopes coachJ.C. Mahan said.
Avonworth has rebounded from a season-opening loss to Highlands to win six straight, the latest when senior forward Thanna Oddo sunk the Crusaders with two goals, the second with about 15 minutes to go.
“We finished it off strong,” Mahan said. “We didn't allow them to have much possession after they scored their goal.”
Oddo leads Avonworth (6-1, 4-0 Section 3-A) with 10 goals, four of them game-winners. Freshman Emily Paszkiewicz has a team-high three assists.
This year's seniors — defenders Hannah Croft and Mairead McDonagh and forward Amelia Nahum — have a school-record 46 wins.
Two years ago, the Antelopes reached the WPIAL Class A semifinals and PIAA playoffs for the first time.
“It's the work the girls have put in over the years,” Mahan said. “We're building a program, not just a one-year team.”
• Talk about extremes. Entering Tuesday's games, Quaker Valley had scored 46 goals in eight matches, all wins, for an average of 5.75 per contest. Chartiers Valley had allowed just one goal through its first eight games, though the Colts played three-time PIAA Class AAA champion Peters Township on Tuesday.
— Jason Mackey
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Acme man’s ephemeral sculptures appear to defy laws of physics
- Rossi: After L.A., NFL should tread carefully
- Oncologists wary of scaled-back guidelines in cancer screenings
- Cal (Pa.) softball loses slugfest; season comes to an end
- Early success in White House race a pleasant surprise for Carson
- 4 dogs found dead in Beechview home; woman charged
- Saudi King Salman vows retribution for suicide attack on mosque
- Starter Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates to series sweep of Mets
- Neighbor arrested after McKeesport house fire, authorities say
- Posthumous election wins have happened in Western Pa., nation
- Photo Gallery: The Zac Brown Band kicks off summer with First Niagara show