Monessen boys remain undefeated
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It hasn't happened many times this season, but the Monessen boys found themselves down a goal in a non-section tilt at McKeesport on Saturday.
That didn't last long, though, as the Greyhounds scored four goals before halftime to take a commanding lead enroute to a 7-2 win.
“We trailed but wow, did we respond well by halftime,” Monessen coach Sam Perry said. “All season we have responded well after giving up a goal.”
Luke Doptis recorded a hat trick while Justice Rice, Blair Madison, Josh Kucmeroski, and Adam Pesi each added one goal apiece.
“We played well today and I was pleased with how we moved the ball,” Perry added. “I was glad to see us scores on four corner kicks and it is a hard thing to do.”
First place in Section 4 A will be on the line Tuesday when Monessen (7-0) heads to Beth-Center.
Ringgold 1,Mt. Pleasant 0
Ringgold went on the road and earned a hard-fought non-section win.
The Rams (7-3) return to Section 4 AAA play Tuesday with a key match at Baldwin. The Rams trail Baldwin by a half-game for third place.
Carlynton 7,Bentworth 0
The Bearcats were shut out at home by red hot Carlynton, who won their fifth straight contest after starting with three losses.
Bentworth (1-4-2) looks to stay in the playoff race at Chartiers-Houston in a Section 4 A contest Tuesday.
Elizabeth Forward 1, Penn-Trafford 0 (OT)
Rachel Collage scored the lone goal of the match with 3:38 left in overtime to give EF the win.
Jen Keefer recorded 10 saves to earn her third shutout of the season.
EF (3-2-1) hosts East Allegheny tonight in a Section 4 AA match.
McKeesport 3, Monessen 0
The Lady Greyhounds, who have been outscored 29-1 this season, dropped an exhibition match to Class AAA McKeesport.
Monessen (0-4) returns to Section 2 A action tonight when it heads to Serra Catholic.
Bentworth 4,Carlynton 3
The Lady Bearcats won their fourth game in a row with a close victory. Bentworth (4-2) returns to action tonight when it hosts Charleroi in a key Section 2 A match.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Karns City blanks DuBois Central Catholic, captures District 9 soccer championship
- Trib Cup: Canon-McMillan girls ready for Halloween at Highmark
- Previewing the WPIAL soccer championships
- Karns City girls extend D-9 girls soccer dominance
- Sewickley Academy boys soccer heading back to Highmark
- Upper St. Clair back in familiar territory; will vie for 1st WPIAL title since 2011
- High school roundup: Penn-Trafford earns PIAA tourney berth
- Geibel boys soccer season ends with loss to Vincentian
- Carlynton girls soccer stunned by early playoff exit
- High school roundup: Montour girls upset South Park in semis
- Herald Spotlight Athlete: SSA keeper played key role in run to quarterfinals