Shady Side Acacdemy girls soccer team seeks to continue winning ways
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Shady Side Academy girls soccer team has a new coach but nothing much has changed as the Indians have continued their winning ways.
Their only loss so far was a non-section contest against Fox Chapel.
New coach Mary Lynch was an assistant at SSA for the past three years, so she was aware of what the squad is capable of.
“I didn't have to come in and make any sweeping changes.,” she said. “There are a few minor things that we're doing differently and so far things have been going well.”
As was the case for the past three years, high-scoring Maggie Scott has been leading the offense.
Scott, who entered the season as SSA's all-time scoring leader, has already scored 10 goals this season.
She is ably supported by an array of talented returning starters.
“Even though we lost four seniors, three of whom were starters, we have a lot of returning starters and a large senior class,” Lynch said. “That is a strength of this year's team — the leadership and experience.”
Senior Olivia Cochran returns in goal along with senior midfielder Zoe Schoen, junior defenders Kara Pooley and Tori Winter and junior midfielders Casey Holshue and Courtney Clark. Freshman defender Eliza Cochran will also see playing time.
Lynch expects Greensburg Central Catholic and Springdale to be strong once again.
“They always have good teams and we should be right up there, also,” Lynch said. “We have a strong work ethic and the leadership of our seniors has had a strong trickle down effect on the younger players.”
Marty Stewart is a sports editor for Trib Total Media. He can be reached at 412-782-2123 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh Regatta will go on without boats, water events
- Rossi: Rutherford shines as old boss pouts
- Crane tips over, smashes into roof of building at Pitt
- Record-breaking solar-powered plane lands in Hawaii after flight from Japan
- Homebrewers timid when choosing commercial styles
- Public implored to avoid iPhone cases that resemble guns
- Former Jeannette coach held for trial on charges of assault on teen girls
- LaBar: What’s killing professional wrestling
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- Lower Burrell couple charged with 6 misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty
- Gov. Wolf vetoes bill to privatize Pennsylvania’s liquor system