Alle-Kiski soccer notes: Springdale supports middle school coach
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Springdale supports middle school coach
Springdale's high school and middle school soccer teams will add pink to their usual mix of orange and black this fall to show support for Milt Fraser and his wife, Carol.
Fraser is the boys middle school coach. His wife, a sixth grade science teacher in the Highlands district, has been battling breast cancer for two years.
Players will wear pink wristbands.
A former varsity coach at Highlands, Fraser said there's also a plan to have Highlands middle school players wear wristbands when Springdale hosts the boys and girls teams in October.
“I just really can't say enough about the community of Springdale — doing this for me, someone who's not even from the district,” said Fraser, a Highlands alum who has coached Springdale's middle school boys since 2008. “You can't ask for any place better.”
• Valley's and Burrell's boys will try to break a tie streak when they meet at 2 p.m. Saturday at Burrell. A year ago, they played to 1-1 and 0-0 results. Both retained the majority of their starters from playoff-qualifying teams and have hopes of competing for the Section 1-AA title.
• While she has more to learn as a football kicker, sophomore Nikki Polens has shown she's well-versed in how to score on the soccer field. She has scored six of Riverview's 10 goals this season, including four in a 7-1 win over Jeannette on Monday night. A year ago, she had 11 goals and five assists. On the football field, she has made one extra point in four attempts.
• Kittanning's Kayly Lazaroff also is pulling double duty, playing soccer and golf.
— Bill West
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Baldwin boys soccer team bolstered by strong international influence
- Charleroi, Fedrick get past Char-Houston, 4-1
- Gorman: ‘Doc’ sitting on 300th win
- Ringgold flourishing as it changes formation, moves players to new positions
- Kittanning girls soccer battles through low roster numbers
- Valley notebook: Burrell goalie makes most of opportunity
- Trib Cup: Bethel Park girls soccer again has look of WPIAL contender
- West Mifflin girls soccer battling for playoff spot
- Burrell’s Mazary hopes prolific scoring aids push for playoffs
- High school roundup: Peters Township, USC girls tie in battle of top teams
- Fox Chapel wins thriller