South Park soccer shuts out Belle Vernon Area
TribLIVE Sports Videos
South Park, the undefeated leaders in Section 3 AA, continued its dominant play with a 4-0 win over Belle Vernon Area Thursday afternoon.
“They are a really good team, but we hurt ourselves a lot more early on,” BVA coach John Kerekes. “When you play a really good team you have to cut down on mistakes, and they took advantage of our mistakes early.”
BVA (3-6, 2-3) scored an own-goal for South Park (8-0, 5-0) three minutes in and the Eagles led 3-0 at the half.
BVA hosts Elizabeth Forward Saturday night in a section match.
“Our section is pretty competitive and the second half (of section play) is coming, but we have to play well against EF Saturday to finish the first half strong.”
West Mifflin 5, EF 0
The Warriors (0-8-1, 0-4-1) remained winless with their loss to the Titans (4-3-1, 3-1), the second-place team in Section 3 AA.
Despite the loss, in which EF started two freshmen defenders and the first defender off the bench was also a freshman, EF coach Dave King was happy with his team's effort.
That was a stark contrast to the Warriors' previous game.
“I am very pleased with the effort tonight,” King said. “We can teach fundamentals and improve talent, but we can't teach effort. Tonight, the effort was there.”
T. Jefferson 5, Yough 1
Yough (2-4-1, 2-3-1) dropped a Section 3 AA contest to the Jaguars.
The outcome helped create a logjam behind South Park and West Mifflin in the section.
TJ (3-4-1, 2-2-1), Yough, Steel Valley and BVA are all separated by a half-game in the standings for the third and final playoff spot as the teams approach the midway point of section play.
Yough is at East Allegheny Saturday in a non-section match.
California 2, Bentworth 0
The Trojans shut out the Bearcats in a Section 4 A tilt.
No other information was available.
Both teams return to section play Saturday as California (3-3-1, 2-2-1) hosts Washington and Bentworth (1-6-2, 0-3-2) heads to Beth-Center (5-2, 4-1), which suffered its first loss Thursday to Geibel and fell into a tie for first with idle Monessen (7-1, 4-1).
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Bitter loss fuels Kiski Area boys soccer
- Moon girls team is savoring a return to big-school soccer
- Alle-Kiski soccer notebook: Area teams begin section play this week
- GCC boys soccer begins new season with young, ambitious coach
- Elizabeth Forward girls soccer looks to extend playoff streak
- Jeannette girls soccer team is young, ready to go
- Southmoreland boys soccer expects another strong season
- Fit, fast Franklin Regional girls soccer team looks to return to playoffs
- Fox Chapel girls soccer under new leadership
- Quaker Valley girls soccer team sports new look in preseason camp
- New coach set to lead Greensburg Salem girls soccer