HS notes: Section 5-AAA, 4-A leaders fit to be tied
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Section 5-AAA, 4-A leaders fit to be tied early on
Rock, paper, scissors, anyone?
Sorting out tiebreakers in Sections 5-AAA and 4-A will be a headache come playoff time.
That's because there have been a total of seven ties, three in Section 5-AAA, four in Section 4-A.
There have been only 17 ties total in section matches thus far in the entire WPIAL.
Second-ranked Canon-McMillan has tied No. 1 Upper St. Clair and No. 5 Peters Township. Moon and Chartiers Valley also have been equal after 80 minutes and a pair of overtime periods.
In Section 4-A, Geibel has tied Bentworth and California, while Washington owns a pair of ties against the Bearcats and Chartiers-Houston.
• Thoughts that Canon-McMillan would be doomed without last year's goalkeeper, James Hathaway, sound pretty silly right about now. By blanking Chartiers Valley, 3-0, over the weekend, sophomore Christian Snatchko earned his seventh shutout of the season. Snatchko, who replaced All-WPIAL keeper Hathaway, won a position battle with senior Alex Hannigan, who has assumed his familiar spot on the Big Macs' back line.
• Before the season began, Quaker Valley coach Gene Klein predicted rival West Allegheny would be the team to beat in Class AA. So far, he has been right on the money. The No. 1 Indians defeated Klein's Quakers, 2-0, last Thursday and remain in first place in Section 5, tied with South Fayette at 5-0-1. West A played to a scoreless tie with the Lions on Saturday.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- New Monroeville Mall policy aims to tame teen shoppers
- Business Gallery, March 1, 2015
- Rostraver police investigating alleged sexual misconduct between Ringgold HS employee, student
- Butler County spotlight athletes: March 1, 2015
- Finding perfect pairing for Ehrhoff key for Penguins
- Top residential, commercial deals of the week — March 1
- Greensburg pair jailed in convenience store robbery
- Ex-Brewers star Hart hopes to prove to Pirates he still can play
- To find best career path, start with a book, look to past
- Undefeated Aliquippa downs Seton-La Salle for WPIAL Class AA title
- Gallagher formally becomes Pitt chancellor