HS notes: Top-notch matches set for Peters Township tournament
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Top-notch matches set at Peters Twp.
One of the season's most highly regarded events, the annual Peters Township Soccer Tournament, is this Friday and Saturday.
Mercyhurst Prep will play Seneca Valley at 6 p.m. on the opening night, followed by the second-ranked Indians and South Park at 8.
The next day, Mercyhurst Prep and South Park will kick off at 1 p.m., then Peters Township and Seneca Valley at 3.
Expect some emotions for the final game: Peters Township toppled the Raiders, 2-1, to win the WPIAL Class AAA title last year on Veronica Latsko's header with 27 seconds to go in double overtime.
Latsko, a Virginia recruit, is out for the season with a torn ACL.
• Penn-Trafford's 2-0 upset win Monday over previously top-ranked Norwin might've come as a shock, but it's not likely to drastically alter the Section 1-AAA standings. Halfway through section play, the Warriors are in first place at 6-0. Norwin is in second at 4-1 and closes out its first half Friday with a match at Kiski Area (3-4-1). The next four teams — Latrobe, Kiski Area, Franklin Regional and Hempfield — all had two wins entering Tuesday's games. Norwin won the Section 1-AAA title last year.
• Yough has enjoyed a 6-2, 4-1 start despite not having last year's WPIAL leader in goals, sophomore Mikayla Mance, who's playing for the Riverhounds Development Academy, and junior Hannah Ponitz, who's out for the year with a torn ACL. Yough's only section loss came Monday — 2-1 at Southmoreland — but the Cougars have a chance for redemption next Monday when they host Section 1-AA leader Mt. Pleasant (6-4, 5-1).
— Jason Mackey
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL playoff soccer capsules
- After reaching playoffs for 2nd straight season, Latrobe girls continue to make strides
- Penn-Trafford girls soccer gets first playoff win since 2011
- Greyhounds outlast Charleroi, 2-1
- Mt. Pleasant boys soccer season ends on penalty kicks
- Girls’ soccer sites set