High school roundup: Golfers advance to WPIAL finals
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The WPIAL Class AAA championship field is set for the Oct. 2 event at Diamond Run Golf Club in Sewickley.
Baldwin's Zach Taylor shot a 3-under par 67 and was the low medalist at the semifinal held at Cranberry Highlands Golf Course.
At Hannastown Golf Club semifinal, Uniontown's Luke Wallace's 74 was the low score, one stroke ahead of Fox Chapel's Patrick Sheerer. Upper St. Clair's Thomas Steve shot a 2-over par 74, holding off Plum's Andrew Reynolds and West Allegheny's Josh Linsenbigler, who each shot 75 in the third semifinal at Youghioghenny Country Club. The top 12 golfers from each semifinal site advanced to the championship.
Kiski Area 2, Penn-Trafford 1 — Dutch Schaffer scored twice, including the winning goal with seven minutes remaining, to lead Kiski Area (8-2, 6-1) to a Section 1-AAA victory. Andrew Miller scored for Penn-Trafford (5-3-1, 4-3).
Mt. Lebanon 5, Albert Gallatin 0 — Austin Johnston had a pair of goals and an assist as Mt. Lebanon (7-3, 6-1) cruised in Section 4-AAA. Matt Collins, John Wieczorek and Ryan Caste scored for the Blue Devils.
Central Catholic 3, Plum 2 — Matt O'Donnell's goal midway through the second half, gave Central Catholic (9-1-1, 7-0) a Section 3-AAA win. Ryan Sproule and Ben Tatry also scored for the Vikings and keeper Austin Marroquin made six saves.
Peters Township 3, Ambridge 0 — Wes Ward, Brady Pike and Nicco Mastrangelo scored for the Indians (8-2-1, 5-1-1) in a Section 5-AAA win.
Blackhawk 6, Mohawk 0 — Zach Medarac scored twice as Blackhawk (9-1-1, 7-0-0) won in Section 4-AA.
South Allegheny 3, Jeannette 2 — Colt Zappa, Patrick Ruffing and Jesse Lawson scored for the Gladiators (7-1-1, 3-1-1) in a Section 1-A win. Anthony Ruane and Bailey Chishko scored for Jeannette (4-4, 1-4).
Southmoreland 4, Greensburg C.C. 2 — Luke Zeleznik scored twice as Southmoreland (5-3-1) earned a nonsection victory. Frank Fratto scored twice for Greensburg C.C. (3-6).
Freedom 2, Quigley 1 (OT) — Maddy Daubensteck scored with eight minutes remaining in regulation and again with 6:58 left in overtime to lift Freedom (4-6, 4-4) to a Section 1-A win.
Shady Side Academy 6, Jeannette 0 — Elizabeth Harper, Calsey Holshue and Maggie Scott all scored twice for Shady Side Academy (7-2, 5-1) in Section 4-A.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Seneca Valley girls look to claim 3rd straight soccer title
- Seneca Valley boys want to build on soccer experience
- Boys soccer preview: After winning back-to-back WPIAL titles, Peters Township boys hoping to evolve with younger lineup
- Girls soccer preview: Seneca Valley seniors working together to challenge for 3rd straight WPIAL title
- Girls soccer preview: In addition to 59-goal scorer Cartwright, WPIAL champion GCC to feature more variety on offense
- New coach instills fresh attitude in young Penn Hills soccer team
- Late start isn’t worrying Ringgold girls soccer coach
- Senior leaders take reins for Quaker Valley girls soccer
- Experienced Sewickley Academy boys have lofty goals