Alle-Kiski Valley soccer notes: Goalie doubles as goalscorer for Kiski Area boys team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Goalie doubles as scorer for Kiski
Kiski Area's boys soccer team lost a key scoring threat when junior forward Zach Wilson went down with an ACL injury this summer.
Coach Bob Wright worried about how to fill the void.
He found the solution in the form of a goalkeeper.
Junior Matt Bisceglia transferred back to Kiski Area after attending Central Catholic, where he started in net. The Cavaliers had Brandon Smail, a senior All-WPIAL selection, back at goalkeeper, and they considered Bisceglia too skilled with the ball to waste him as a strict backup, so they moved Bisceglia out to the field.
Given a couple weeks to adjust, Bisceglia, who primarily starts at defense, has added to Kiski Area's goal production. He scored in a 2-1 win over Franklin Regional on Sept. 17 and in a 6-1 win over Latrobe two days later.
“We all knew that he was a pretty good goalie, but I don't think any of us knew he was that good of a field player,” senior Matt Dziadosz said.
• When Deer Lakes' boys soccer team meets Shady Side Academy for a rematch Oct. 10, it'll have the chance to stun Section 2-AA's favorite in front of the downtown crowd. The Lancers and Indians will play at Highmark Stadium at 7:30 p.m. Oct. 10. Shady Side Academy beat Deer Lakes, 4-1, when the teams met Saturday.
• With four straight Section 2-A wins, Riverview's boys team shook off its early-season rust and stands a chance to claim at least a share of the section title. The Raiders last won hardware in 2000.
• Burrell and Valley's boys teams' first Section 1-A game has been rescheduled to 2 p.m. Oct. 5.
— Bill West
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Playoff losses motivate West Mifflin boys soccer
- Rams cruise as soccer launches section play
- Veteran Geibel soccer team finally has depth to compete
- Franklin Regional’s Roberge follows in brothers’ soccer footsteps
- High school roundup: South Fayette opens section play with victory
- Kittanning boys soccer team pleases new coach in season-opening loss
- Plum splits two games at tournament
- Gateway holds off Hempfield for opening victory
- South Allegheny girls soccer team seeks elusive PIAA berth
- New coach set to lead Greensburg Salem girls soccer
- Bitter loss fuels Kiski Area boys soccer