Roundup: Charleroi girls keep pace in Section 2 A
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Charleroi girls' soccer team will play its biggest game of the season on Monday afternoon.
That's when the Lady Cougars travel to Glassport to take on South Allegheny for a share of the lead in Section 2 A.
Both Charleroi (8-1, 6-1) and South Allegheny (9-2, 7-0) set the stage for the showdown with easy wins Wednesday.
Charleroi beat Chartiers-Houston, 5-1, while SA drubbed Monessen, 11-0.
SA handed Charleroi its lone loss of the season, 1-0, in the first meeting of the two teams.
The Lady Cougars took a 2-0 halftime lead against Chartiers-Houston (6-6, 3-4) and were never in trouble.
Halee Fedrick scored twice while Adrianna Authouse, Rachel Ritzer, and Kyra Watkins also added goals.
S. Allegheny 11,Monessen 0
The Lady Greyhounds (0-8, 0-7) fell to the Section 2 A leaders in the lopsided contest.
Monessen, which has been outscored 75-1 on the season, hosts third-place Bentworth in a section match today.
BV Area 3,T. Jefferson 0
Playing its third Section 4 AA match in as many days, the Lady Leps (8-2, 6-1) downed a very game TJ squad in a game that was scoreless at the half.
“TJ really came to play tonight,” BVA coach Paul Sasko said. “(Goalkeeper) Ashly (Gagliardi) had several great saves early to keep them off the board.
“But our girls came out in the second half and gave a great effort.”
Gagliardi recorded six saves while Hayden Pascoe, Sarah McCullough, and Caitlin Caldwell scored for the Lady Leps.
Serra 2,Bentworth 1
The Lady Bearcats (5-5, 4-3) suffered a Section 2 A loss and their hold on third place is down to one game because of it.
Bentworth is at Monessen today in a section match.
Elizabeth Forward 1,Yough 0
EF (7-3-1) downed Yough (6-3) in an exhibition match.
Ali Pastore scored the lone goal in the first half on a breakaway.
Teammate Jen Keefer earned the shutout in goal.
Yough hosts Derry in a Section 1 AA match tonight while EF returns to Section 4 AA play Saturday when it heads to TJ.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Rotation of keepers has Penn-Trafford girls off to 10-1 start with 7 shutouts
- Greyhounds outlast Charleroi, 2-1
- Hopewell trying to avoid slumps against familiar foes
- Ringgold nears 6-AA crown
- Riverview soccer team falls to Vincentian
- Baldwin boys soccer team bolstered by strong international influence
- West Mifflin girls soccer battling for playoff spot
- Charleroi, Fedrick get past Char-Houston, 4-1
- Lady Rams dominate, win 3
- Penn Hills girls soccer squad looks to second half of season for turnaround
- Now or never for Chartiers Valley girls soccer seniors