HS notes: Peters Township girls nearing another section title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Peters Township nearing title
With a win over Chartiers Valley Wednesday night, Peters Township can clinch the Section 5-AAA title.
It would be the fourth consecutive year the Indians (11-3, 7-0) have won or shared (2010 with Mt. Lebanon) a section title.
Peters Township, which has won three consecutive PIAA Class AAA championships, has a 39-2 record in section play since 2010.
• Vincentian has bounced back from an 0-3 start, and credit goes to several players. Sophomore midfielders Regina Dongilli and Hanna Canil have been frequent contributors. In the Royals' past four games — wins over Steel Valley, Seton-La Salle, Ellis School and Avonworth — Dongilli and Canil have combined for three goals apiece. Of the team's past eight goals, Dongilli and Canil have all but two. Both scored during last Friday's upset of No. 3 Avonworth, which evened the season series with the Antelopes at one game apiece.
• Three players have helped each other score most of the goals this season for the undefeated Quaker Valley, which improved to 14-0 overall and 10-0 in Section 5-AA on Monday with a 4-0 win over Keystone Oaks. Senior Greer Monahan (27 goals), sophomore Moriah Wigley (16) and junior Megan Amoroso (12) have been good setting up plays for one another, coach Mike Pastor said. “One of our strengths as a team is that we have a lot of girls who are capable of scoring goals in big games,” Pastor said. “The thing that really makes our team strong is that the girls play hard for one another. Nobody on the team is a ‘me' first kind of kid.” The Quakers have outscored opponents 67-10.
— Staff reports
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Charleroi clinches 2-A title with 4-1 win
- Kiski Area girls soccer gives boost to playoff hopes
- Fox Chapel goalkeeper Burdelski shutting it down
- Kulish notches 300th career victory
- Canevin boys soccer team gets defensive
- Underdog approach fuels Penn Hills boys soccer 2nd half of season
- The future is now for Norwin girls soccer
- High school roundup: Yough girls soccer remains unbeaten
- Senior striker Riley go-to guy for Southmoreland soccer team
- Hopewell trying to avoid slumps against familiar foes
- Rotation of keepers has Penn-Trafford girls off to 10-1 start with 7 shutouts