Alle-Kiski Valley soccer notebook: Multi-talented GK Miner a major part of Knoch's success
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Multi-talented GK a major part of Knoch's success
Just before he turns his attention to making saves, Knoch senior Brett Miner plays a tune for the home of the brave.
Miner, starting goalkeeper for the Knights (8-3-4, 6-1-2), has tapped out the national anthem on his trumpet before home night games this season. A member of the marching band, he first agreed to the responsibility a year ago.
As the man in net, Miner sets the tone for a defense that has allowed just one goal in its eight wins.
• Any team that plans to foil the Fox Chapel girls soccer team's progress toward a Section 3-AAA title must first figure out how to put the ball in the net. The Foxes (11-1, 8-0), who lead the section by at least two games, have shut out nine of their 12 opponents and allowed just four goals.
• Let the nightly score-checking commence for Knoch, Freeport and Highlands' girls teams, which are in a tight race for second and third in Section 2-AA. Knoch (10-3-1, 8-2-1) has the head-to-head edge over Highlands (8-6, 7-4), which beat Freeport (7-5-1, 6-3-1) in their first meeting. Freeport beat and tied Knoch, further blurring the playoff picture. Postseason berths are determined by section records, with wins counting as three points and ties one.
• Due to a postponed initial meeting, Valley's and Burrell's boys teams will play two times in the span of six days this month. Their initial game was rescheduled for 7 p.m. Saturday. Then they'll play again at 7 p.m. Oct. 10. At that point, Valley (5-3-1, 5-3-1) might be all that stands in the way of a section title for Burrell (9-3, 7-1).
— Bill West
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- WPIAL playoff soccer capsules
- After reaching playoffs for 2nd straight season, Latrobe girls continue to make strides
- Penn-Trafford girls soccer gets first playoff win since 2011
- 3 area teams eliminated
- Connellsville falls to Seneca Valley in first-round soccer playoff game
- Girls’ soccer sites set
- Mt. Pleasant boys soccer season ends on penalty kicks
- Riverview embracing underdog role in WPIAL first-round win
- Canon-McMillan takes down No. 7 Norwin
- Geibel goalie saves game during shootout, beats Carlynton
- High school roundup: Quaker Valley boys upset No. 2 Mars