BVA boys keep playoff hopes alive
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Belle Vernon Area boys' soccer team (5-8, 4-5) picked up a huge 1-0 winover West Mifflin on Saturday to remain in the Section 3-AA playoff race.
Tyler Chiste recorded the lone goal of the contest while Sam Kovall earned the shutout in net.
“It was a well-played game in the first half and I thought we had a lot of the possession,” BVA coach John Kerekes said. “West Mifflin fought hard in the second half to try and tie the contest, but our defenders were able to hold them off.”
The Leps will host Canon-McMillan today in an exhibition match.
McGuffey 4,Charleroi 0
The Cougars (6-6, 4-5) saw their playoff hopes fade with their Section 6-AA loss.
“McGuffey is a really good team and played that way,” Charleroi coach Ron Hostovich said of the Highlanders, who are tied for first place in the section.
Charleroi hosts South Allegheny for an exhibition match tonight.
Beth-Center 3,California 1
The Trojans (4-6-1, 3-4-1) came up short in a must-win situation in Section 4-A play. No other information on the game was available.
California hosts Monessen in a Section 4-A match Tuesday.
Ringgold 2,McKeesport 0
The Lady Rams (3-6, 3-4) shut out the Lady Tigers in a Section 4-AAA match.
Bailee Bove and Brooke Bollmer were the goal scorers for Ringgold.
“This was a good bounce back win for us,” Ringgold coach Tom Cameron said. “Hopefully we can keep it going.”
The Lady Rams look to even their section record on Monday when hosting Albert Gallatin for a section match.
Elizabeth Forward 0, Thomas Jefferson 0
The Lady Warriors (7-3-2, 4-2-1) maintained a game-and-a-half lead over the Lady Jaguars for the final playoff spot in Section 4-AA with a tie.
“We struggled a little bit finishing,” EF coach Brandon Gerba said. “We had a lot of good opportunities.
“But in the second half and overtime the girls really picked up their play.”
The Lady Warriors host section-leading South Park at 7:30 p.m. tonight.
Yough 7, Derry 0
Franki Berarducci recorded a hat trick and Leah Appolonia nabbed her sixth shutout in goal to lead Yough (7-3, 5-1) to its second Section 1-AA win over Derry in the past three days.
The Lady Cougars have a key section match tonight when they host second-place Mt. Pleasant.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pittsburgh Regatta will go on without boats, water events
- Rossi: Rutherford shines as old boss pouts
- Crane tips over, smashes into roof of building at Pitt
- Record-breaking solar-powered plane lands in Hawaii after flight from Japan
- Homebrewers timid when choosing commercial styles
- Public implored to avoid iPhone cases that resemble guns
- LaBar: What’s killing professional wrestling
- Former Jeannette coach held for trial on charges of assault on teen girls
- Liriano, Pirates complete sweep of Tigers
- Shaken by economic, political turmoil, MLB forsaking Venezuela
- Lower Burrell couple charged with 6 misdemeanor counts of animal cruelty