Jeannette boys soccer working toward first winning season
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Jeannette boys soccer team reached a milestone earlier this season when it won two games in a row for the first time in the program's four-year history. Now the boys have done it again.
The Jayhawks raised their overall record to 6-7 with a win last Saturday at Monessen and are striving to finish above the .500 mark for the first time in program history.
That's a lot of history being made in one season, but it is not everything first-year head coach Mitchell Steele envisions for Jeannette Soccer.
“It's great to win a couple of games but we want to do more,” said Steele. “The guys see that when they play their style they can win, so we want to keep getting better and keep winning.”
The Monessen win followed a Section 1-A win last Thursday over South Allegheny that pushed Jeannette's section record to 2-7.
The South Allegheny win stopped a four-game losing streak, all section games, that effectively ended Jeannette's shot at post-season play. Steele insists the outcomes of those games are not indicative of how well the team has played.
“It is a shame that we lost a few of those games because we really controlled the games,” said Steele. “They were weird losses. It was not a lack of effort, there were just a few plays in each game where our opponent made a play or executed a good shot.”
The recent win streak has featured excellent goal keeping by junior Shawn Poth who was a few minutes away from posting consecutive shutouts. Steele is also impressed by the contributions of several underclassmen who were forced into the lineup because of a rash of injuries to upperclassmen.
“The young guys have really played well for us,” said Steele. “They are making good contributions and playing good minutes.”
Jeannette finished its section schedule this week and will close out its season next Tuesday with a home game against Valley.
Dave Moio is a freelance writer.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Freeport makes case for playoffs with 2-1 comeback win over Deer Lakes
- High school roundup: No. 1 Mars edges Shady Side Academy in double OT
- Led by a defense that has allowed just 5 goals, Fox Chapel girls excel in section play
- South Allegheny boys soccer grows amid adversity
- Stack propels Seton-La Salle to tie for first place
- Greensburg high school roundup: Mt. Pleasant shuts out Greensburg Salem in Section 1
- Experience, familiarity giving Canevin girls soccer a boost
- Daily News roundup: Elizabeth Forward, TJ play to 1-1 draw
- Charleroi dominates Monessen, 5-0
- Ligonier Valley boys soccer likely has to win out to reach District 6 playoffs
- Scottie Sports Roundup — soccer teams flourish