Big wins for Charleroi, BVA girls
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Charleroi scored two first half goals and then held on to edge visiting Bentworth, 2-1, in a Section 2 A contest Wednesday night.
The Lady Cougars (9-1-1, 7-1-1) remained a half-game behind first-place South Allegheny in Section 2 A with the win over the Lady Bearcats (7-6, 6-4).
Halee Fedrick and scored Kyra Watkins scored first half goals to give Charleroi a 2-0 lead at halftime and the Lady Cougars maintained the lead the rest of the way. Bentworth's Madison Jones scored with eight minutes to go, but the Lady Bearcats couldn't tie the match.
Charleroi is at Beth-Center Friday in a section match while Bentworth hosts South Allegheny Saturday.
BV Area 1, McGuffey 0
The Lady Leopards (10-2, 8-1) clinched their 11th consecutive playoff spot, including their ninth under head coach Paul Sasko, with their Section 4 AA win.
“It is always good to make the playoffs and it is our first goal each season,” BVA coach Paul Sasko said. “The effort was there and although we didn't score a lot, these types of games are always good for us.”
Hayden Pascoe scored eight minutes for the lone goal of the match.
Kaity Watson recorded two saves to earn the shutout.
BVA hosts West Mifflin tonight in a section match on senior night.
Yough 7, Waynesburg 0
The Lady Cougars (10-3, 8-1) rolled in the Section 1 AA contest as Shawna Zaken and Natalie Luppold each had three goals.
Zaken, a sophomore, has 19 goals on the season while Luppold, a junior, has 16. Theresa Merlino had the other goal.
Leigh Appolonia earned her ninth shutout in goal as the Lady Cougars built a comfortable 5-0 lead in the first half.
E. Forward 7, E. Allegheny 0
The Lady Warriors (8-3-3, 5-2-2) inched closer to a Section 4 AA playoff spot with their win.
“It's another win where we were able to rest some older girls battling injuries and to get the younger girls some time,” EF coach Brandon Gerba said. “That is always key to help develop them.”
Ali Pastore scored twice to give her 10 goals on the year.
Rachel Collage, Mary Cooper, Shayna Lindberg, Taylor Mordecki, and Juliana Jones also added tallies for EF, while Jen Keefer earned her eighth save of the season.
EF returns to action Monday in a section match at West Mifflin.
Serra Catholic 7, Monessen 0
The Lady Hounds (0-11, 0-10) fell behind 4-0 in the first half en route to dropping a Section 2 A match.
Monessen hosts Jeannette in an exhibition match Saturday.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers re-sign DE Geathers
- Authorities release name of Greensburg man who jumped off overpass onto Route 30
- Former Pittsburgh teacher to stand trial on felony charge involving student
- Bethel Park Police arrest 3 for thefts at Walmart
- Operating loss widens at Highmark parent
- VA, police looking into suicide by veteran outside O’Hara facility
- Pittsburgh diocese eliminates fees for marriage annulments
- Residents warned after incidents with bottles rigged to explode on Jeannette streets
- District attorney will review grand jury’s report on AG Kane
- Starkey: Penguins’ season impressive so far
- Controversial McKeesport building destroyed by fire