High school roundup: Winchester Thurston boys edge GCC in double OT
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Emmanuel Epitropoulos netted the lone goal of the match nine minutes into a second overtime, as Winchester Thurston (10-3, 6-3) outlasted Greensburg Central Catholic (4-8, 4-4), 1-0, in Section 1-A boys soccer Thursday night.
The Bears have won five of their past six games, and four of those victories have been shutouts.
Thursday's victory avenged a 1-0 loss to the Centurions from Sept. 19.
Serra Catholic 4, Trinity Catholic 0 —Tyler Grebur found the net three times and Anthony Koval got the shutout to lift No. 5 Serra Catholic (11-2-1, 8-0-1) over Trinity Catholic (1-13-1, 1-7-1) in Section 1-A. The victory pushed the Eagles' unbeaten streak to seven games.
They have outscored their opponents 22-2 in that stretch.
Riverview 1, Aquinas Academy 0 — Christian Snyder's goal in the 60th minute proved to be the difference, as Riverview (8-4-1, 7-1-1) outlasted Aquinas Academy (5-3-3, 4-2-2) in Section 2-A. Ludgar Olek got the shutout.
Geibel 8, California 0 — Hat tricks from Bailey McIntyre and James Ewing helped Geibel (9-2-2, 7-0-2) rout California (4-8-1, 3-6-1) in Section 4-A. The Gators' Kyle Toth had seven saves and notched his sixth shutout of the season, while the Trojans have lost five consecutive matches.
Sewickley Academy 7, Riverside 0 — In Section 5-A, Sewickley Academy's J.P. Bowell registered a hat trick, and Jackson O'Neill's one save was good enough to pick up the shutout in the win over Riverside (4-7-1, 2-6-1). The No. 2-ranked Panthers improved to 9-3 overall and 7-0 in section play.
Bishop Canevin 1, Vincentian 0, OT — Becca Mox scored with a minute and a half remaining in overtime to lead Class A No. 4 Bishop Canevin (11-2-1, 9-1) past Section 3 foe Vincentian (9-4-0, 8-3-0). Mox's goal came from a Sam Vanek cross from the outside that was deflected in the box by Elise White and resulted in the game-winner. Caroline Clarke's nine saves earned her the shutout.
Fox Chapel 3, Penn Hills 1 — In Section 3-AAA, Fox Chapel got a pair of goals from Theresa Scheiffarth to push the Foxes (13-1, 10-0) past Penn Hills (6-8, 4-6) and extend their winning streak to 11.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Liriano strikes out 12, leads Pirates past Mets
- Hinderliter sets personal best while winning PIAA gold in javelin
- Women’s walk across Koreas’ DMZ denied; they cross by bus
- Cleveland protests of officer’s acquittal mostly peaceful
- Ex-Baldwin, Pitt star Pinkston not giving up on NFL dream
- Pirates notebook: Substance rule a sticky subject
- Montoya passes Power on final lap to win Indy 500
- Indianapolis 500 notebook: Ganassi drivers stumble early
- Flash floods in Texas, Oklahoma kill 2; hundreds of homes gone
- After bruising safety crisis, U.S. car watchdog shows its bite
- New parties shake up politics around Spain