Roundup: BVA boys keep hopes alive with 2-1 victory
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Belle Vernon Area kept its playoff hopes alive in Section 3 AA with a 2-1 win over Steel Valley Thursday.
The Leps (6-9, 5-5) trailed 1-0 at the half before scoring twice to pull out the win.
Dylan Pietrantoni scored both goals for BVA after intermission to lead the Leps from behind.
“Everything that went against us in the first half went our way in the second half,” BVA coach John Kerekes said. “We still have a chance for the playoffs and we needed this one.
“As long as we play as a team, we will have a chance.”
BVA hosts section leader and undefeated South Park Tuesday.
Baldwin 3, Ringgold 2
The Rams (11-4-2, 6-3-2) suffered a tough loss to visiting Baldwin (7-6-2, 6-3-1) in a battle for third place in Section 4 AAA.
An apparent tying goal for Ringgold late in the game was disallowed by the officials.
“At first they pointed and called it a goal and then they got together and talked and called it back,” Ringgold coach Frank Perez said. “In over 30 years in the game I have never seen a goal called a goal and then called back. It's disappointing.
“But honestly, I can't say it was our best effort and I give credit to Baldwin because they came in here and played hard.”
Jeremy Perez scored one goal for Ringgold. The other Ram goal bounced off a Baldwin player and went in.
Laurel Highlands 4, Charleroi 1
The Cougars (6-9, 4-7) fell to the Section 6 AA leaders (12-2, 9-1).
Brock Shannon scored the lone goal for Charleroi.
“We didn't play bad but just made a few mistakes,” Charleroi coach Ron Hostovich said.
Charleroi closes its season Thursday when it heads to Southmoreland for a section match.
Beth-Center 2, Monessen 1
The Greyhounds (9-3, 6-3) dropped a hard-fought Section 4 A contest at home to second-place B-C (9-3, 8-2).
The loss left Monessen in third place in the section.
“It was a tough loss and a very competitive game,” Monessen coach Sam Perry said. “This is not what we hoped coming into the game, but now our backs are against the wall.
“With one week to go now, we have to focus on winning and making the playoffs.”
Down 1-0 at the half, Zach Picciarelli scored to tie the game.
However, BC scored with 14 minutes left to take the lead.
Monessen hosts Jeannette in an exhibition match Saturday.
Geibel 8, California 0
The Trojans (4-8-1, 3-6-1) fell to the Section 4 A leaders on the road.
California hosts South Side Beaver in an exhibition match tonight.
Chartiers-Houston 2, Bentworth 0
The Bearcats (3-9-2, 2-6-2) dropped a Section 4 A contest at home.
Bentworth faces Bishop Canevin Saturday in an exhibition match.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers re-sign DE Geathers
- Authorities release name of Greensburg man who jumped off overpass onto Route 30
- Former Pittsburgh teacher to stand trial on felony charge involving student
- Operating loss widens at Highmark parent
- District attorney will review grand jury’s report on AG Kane
- Starkey: Penguins’ season impressive so far
- VA, police looking into suicide by veteran outside O’Hara facility
- Controversial McKeesport building destroyed by fire
- Pittsburgh diocese eliminates fees for marriage annulments
- Man dies in jump from Route 130 overpass onto passing tractor-trailer in Hempfield
- Sandusky attorney, ‘victim’ of gambling addiction, waives hearing on charges he stole client funds