HS notes: New system sparks Blackhawk boys soccer team
TribLIVE Sports Videos
New system sparks Blackhawk
If it ain't broke … Bryan Vitale might still try to fix it.
Despite taking over a team that had won consecutive section titles, Blackhawk's first-year coach installed a 4-3-3 system that emphasizes offense. The results haven't changed.
No. 4 Blackhawk (11-1-1, 9-0-0), which already has clinched a share of the Section 4-AA title, can win it outright with a victory at Central Valley Tuesday.
“The guys have bought into the new system” Vitale said. “They're doing really well with it.”
Junior midfielder Steve Sharik leads with 18 goals and seven assists. Senior midfielder Shaan Siton has nine goals and 12 assists.
Sophomore Matt Warnaka has worked his way back from a broken finger during the preseason to become the primary goalkeeper for Blackhawk, which has won six straight, allowing just two goals during that stretch.
• Riverview lost its first four games of the season, but head coach Mickey Namey insists the Raiders weren't counting. “They knew things were working, that we just weren't getting the results we were expecting,” Namey said. Riverview (8-4-1, 7-1-1) has responded by winning eight of nine, the lone exception being a scoreless tie against No. 3 Vincentian on Sept. 26. Cole Wilson leads the team with 11 goals, and Christian Snyder has 10. Josh Killian has contributed seven goals and eight assists, with Danny Milberger organizing the back line. “We're not getting scoring from one person,” Namey said. “We get it from three or four different guys, which I think makes us more dimensional than we were last year. Each guy is chipping in on different games.”
— Jason Mackey
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers OLB coach Porter teaches as passionately as he played
- 2014 showing has Steelers RB Harris confident he belongs
- Steelers training camp has California University link
- Monongahela uses modern technology to connect people to the city’s historic past
- 2 killed in single-vehicle crash in Pittsburgh
- Scout restores Brownsville paddleboat’s smokestacks to earn Eagle award
- Rossi: Nothing huge, but Huntington helped Bucs
- Snake bites on the rise in Western Pa.
- Pirates trade for Dodgers 1B/OF Morse, Mariners LHP Happ
- St. Barnabas 5K provides various reasons to run
- Marte’s 2 fine defensive plays rescue Pirates in victory over Reds