HS notes: Injuries haven't slowed Bishop Canevin girls
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Injuries haven't slowed Canevin
Bishop Canevin has had five players miss significant chunks of time with injuries — yet has seemingly gotten better.
Megan Hart (ACL), Becca Vanek (foot), Daisha Reed (concussion), Bailey Burgess (mononucleosis) and Julia Martin (ankle) have all been either banged up or, in Hart's case, lost for the year.
Still, the Crusaders lead Avonworth by a half-game in the Section 3-A standings with two games in hand. They split two meetings.
“The girls have overcome quite a bit of adversity,” first-year coach Jared Steigerwald said.
Senior Julianne Hart and sophomore Ellese White have six goals apiece. Goalkeeper Caroline Clarke has posted 10 shutouts.
• With last year's two leading scorers, Mikalya Mance and Hannah Ponitz, out because Mance decided to play for the Riverhounds and Ponitz tore her ACL, the Yough girls soccer team hasn't missed a beat. Sophomore Shawna Zaken leads the way with 23 goals. Junior Natalie Luppold has 18 and senior Franki Berarducci 11. “Those girls have picked us up when we needed picked up,” Cougars coach Dann Appolonia said. Alex O'Brien, Sam Maughan, Tayler Powell and Ellie Balko have been dominant in front of keeper Leigh Appolonia, who has 11 shutouts. Yough (12-3, 10-1), which has allowed just five goals in 15 games, captured the Section 1-AA title for a second consecutive year Monday.
• With a win over McGuffey on Wednesday, South Park can clinch a share of its 17th straight section title. The Eagles have compiled a 203-6-3 section record during that stretch, reaching the WPIAL final seven times and the semifinals 12 times.
— Jason Mackey
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Alvarez homer triggers winning outburst for Pirates
- Apple Hill Playhouse takes on an updated ‘Snow White’
- PennDOT team decides what spells trouble on vehicle license plates
- Pirates get journeyman Ishikawa off waivers; outfielder Marte injured
- Clairton summer workshop helps students improve writing skills
- Man charged with passing counterfeit bills at Rivers Casino
- Woman shot at Kennywood Park in ‘freak accident’
- Gameday: Pirates vs. Padres, July 6, 2015
- Bookings for August Wilson Center climb, but permanent board yet to be set
- McCutchen, Pirates hitters increasingly in crosshairs
- Film shares tale of Pittsburgh man who turned disability into career