Alle-Kiski Valley soccer notebook: Playoff picture almost complete
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Playoff picture almost complete
The fates of just a few local girls soccer teams remain uncertain as section play wraps up this week.
In Class AAA, Fox Chapel has made playoffs as the Section 3-AAA champ, and Plum will advance as the section's third-place team at worst. Because it still has three Section 1-AAA games left, Kiski Area (5-7-1, 4-5) can move into third; it has to play Franklin Regional (4-5-2 in section) and Latrobe (4-5-1) for a second time.
In Class AA, Knoch and Freeport qualified out of Section 2-AA.
Springdale is certain to at least share third in Section 4-A. The Dynamos, who lead Riverview by one game, will meet the Raiders Wednesday. Riverview must win to qualify.
• Valley's girls soccer team has matched its best win total for a season. The Vikings improved to 4-10-1 with a 1-0 win over Deer Lakes on Oct. 3. Alyssa Ruffini scored the game-winner in the weather-shortened game, and Kaitlin Capo had the shutout. Valley has two more chances for a fifth win.
• Burrell senior Samantha Shepherd, a defender who committed to Virginia Military Institute, and Knoch senior Gabi Lassinger, a defender who committed to Lafayette, rubbed shoulders with some special players when they belonged to the PA West 2008 Olympic Development Program. Their former teammates, Frannie Crouse and Malea Fabean, now Greensburg Central Catholic seniors, have scored more than 300 goals as a tandem, and Crouse might set a WPIAL career record. And Peters Township senior Veronica Latsko, another former cohort, is the two-time Gatorade Pennsylvania Girls Soccer Player of the Year.
— Bill West
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- South Fayette boys soccer established among WPIAL’s best
- Shady Side Academy girls earn postseason soccer honors
- Thomas Jefferson’s top all-time soccer players recognized
- Mars girls soccer team has talented roster returning
- Magruda loves coaching — in any language