All-Kiski Valley soccer notebook: Burrell girls stay unbeaten in October
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Burrell girls stay unbeaten in October
Of the WPIAL girls soccer teams who missed the playoffs, arguably none had a better October than Burrell.
The Bucs (11-7, 8-6 in Section 2-AA) finished with a winning overall record for the first time since 2007. Essential to that feat was a six-game win streak that stretched from Sept. 30 to the end of the year.
That late-season success might serve as a sign of things to come. Only four players graduate.
Junior Bailey Klems returns at goalkeeper, and the defense will include junior Erin Duffey, junior Abigail Nitowski, sophomore Brittany Woodcock and freshman Michela Beattie. Sophomore Tori Slomka and junior Lexi Husar will flank sophomore Anika Ignozzi at midfield, and junior Jennifer Ryan and sophomore Dana McAlpine return as proven scorers at forward.
“With the exception of the two Mars games, we were in every game this year,” coach Chris Harkins said. “I think the girls finally realized they could play with anybody — definitely anybody in our section. I think they really gained confidence and trust in each other.”
• Deer Lakes' boys soccer team will appear in the postseason for the first time since 2003, but the regular-season win that particularly pleased coach Jordan Wiegand had no bearing on playoff hopes. He identified the Lancers' 1-0 win at North Hills on Sept. 7 as a personal highlight. “Going to my alma mater this year and beating them was probably the best feeling I've ever had as a coach,” he said.
• Fox Chapel boys soccer's 13-0 win over Penn Hills Monday marked the first time the Foxes had a double-digit goal total since 2009, when they beat Penn Hills, 11-0.
— Bill West
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Connellsville boys soccer team sets sights on postseason
- BVA girls claim South Fayette tourney title
- TJ boys soccer veterans making return
- GCC boys soccer begins new season with young, ambitious coach
- Questions abound for area girls’ soccer teams
- Fox Chapel girls soccer under new leadership
- Plum boys soccer seeks return to AAA playoffs
- South Allegheny girls soccer team seeks elusive PIAA berth
- New coach set to lead Greensburg Salem girls soccer
- Former player set to lead Derry soccer
- Fit, fast Franklin Regional girls soccer team looks to return to playoffs