BVA drops first place fight with South Park
TribLIVE Sports Videos
In a battle for first place in Section 4-AA, the Belle Vernon girls' soccer team (12-3-1, 8-2-1) fought valiantly but came up just short.
South Park (11-0-1, 13-2-2) may have played better in the first half, but BVA goalkeeper Ashly Gagliardi had several key saves and the score was tied 0-0 at the break.
“It seemed like we were a bit nervous at the start of the game and out of sync,” BVA coach Paul Sasko said.
“We played much better once we settled down and started possessing the ball, especially in the second half”.
In the second half, South Park's Amanda Luffey scored what proved to be the game winner off of a South Park corner kick.
“We just gave up too many corners and South Park is always very good on the set pieces,” Sasko said.
“Our girls gave an unbelievable effort trying to tie it up though and as a coach that's all you can ask for.
“I'm really proud of them.”
BVA goalkeeper Ashly Gagliardi finished the game with 15 saves.
The Lady Leps travel to Canon-McMillan for an exhibition match Monday before hosting section foe West Mifflin Tuesday to close their regular season.
Charleroi Area 1 , Ringgold 1
In a non-section match between two local teams, the Charleroi Area (11-2-2) and Ringgold (4-9-1) finished in a tie.
As is usually the case when these two rivals play, things are even.
“This was a great soccer game and both teams played well,” Charleroi coach Jim Rue said.
“There was a tremendous ebb and flow to it and Tom and I always seem to get the most out of our players when these teams meet as it is a great rivalry.”
Ringgold coach Tom Cameron agreed.
“The girls on these teams like each other but not when on the field,” he said.
“Jim and I have coached known each other for years and this was a clean, old fashioned soccer game.
“It was well-played, well-officiated, and well-coached.”
Kyra Watkins scored halfway through the first half to give Charleroi a 1-0 halftime lead.
Jill Bartman tied the contest in the second half, and neither team scored in the overtime periods.
Charleroi closes its regular season Mondaywith a Section 2-A match at Beth-Center while Ringgold goes to Elizabeth forward for an exhibition match.
East Allegheny 1, Monessen 0
The Monessen (0-16) put up a tough effort but fell in exhibition action.
Monessen is at Geibel Monday in a non-section match.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Trib Cup: Quick passes key to early success for Beaver soccer
- Freeport makes case for playoffs with 2-1 comeback win over Deer Lakes
- High school roundup: North Allegheny topples Pine-Richland in overtime
- Greensburg high school roundup: Greensburg Salem boys shut out Derry
- A-K Valley high school notebook: Playoff race fuzzy in Section 2-A boys
- Stack propels Seton-La Salle to tie for first place
- Norwin shuts out Hempfield
- Daily News roundup: Thomas Jefferson boys clinch playoff berth
- Youthful East Allegheny girls soccer moving in right direction
- Ligonier Valley boys soccer likely has to win out to reach District 6 playoffs
- South Fayette girls soccer believing it can go deep into playoffs