Baldwin girls clinch section title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Baldwin girls' varsity soccer team is in the midst of a banner 2013 season.
The Lady Highlanders wrapped up the Section 4-AAA championship with a win against Ringgold earlier this week.
But it was their thrilling 1-0 victory at Bethel Park last week that provided an exclamation point to the regular season.
“The girls won (against Bethel Park) because they played with heart,” said Caley Troutman, Baldwin's first-year head coach. “They set the goal to win the section at the beginning of the season, and they played to win at Bethel.
“They gave everything. The last 10 minutes, the defense and goalie Liz Spegar blocked shot after shot. A few saves were made off the goal line. They were determined to keep the ball out of our net.”
Carly Baumann, a senior forward/center midfielder, netted the game-winning goal off a free kick for the Lady Highlanders, who posted 14 shutouts through 17 games in 2013.
“Defensively, Kelsie Balsam was a huge part of our success (this year),” Troutman said. “She also assisted on Carly Baumann's goal.”
Baldwin and Bethel Park played to a 0-0 stalemate in their first meeting in September.
The Lady Highalnders also defeated and tied Mt. Lebanon, another South Hills rival, by 1-0 and 0-0 scores this season.
“I'm really proud of the team and how they are playing right now,” Troutman said. “We need to keep it going into the playoffs.”
Through 16 games, Amanda Grmusa, a senior midfielder, and Katy Pearson, a senior forward, led the Lady Highlanders in goals scored with 16 and 15, respectively.
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at 412-388-5820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Greensburg Salem girls made strides this season
- Knoch’s boys, girls make program history at WPIAL meet
- Riverview boys soccer falls to Winchester Thurston in WPIAL quarterfinals
- South Park boys soccer team makes quick work of Knoch
- Geibel rallies past Greensburg Central Catholic in quarterfinals
- High school roundup: Quaker Valley boys advance to semifinals
- After preliminary-round win, Hempfield girls fall to Seneca Valley in 1st round
- Penn-Trafford’s Mastrogiacomo scores in OT to secure win
- Yough girls advance with overtime win
- High school roundup: Canon-Mac girls down Peters Twp. in shootout
- Second-half adjustments help Burrell boys soccer win in 2OT