Baldwin girls clinch section title
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Baldwin girls' varsity soccer team is in the midst of a banner 2013 season.
The Lady Highlanders wrapped up the Section 4-AAA championship with a win against Ringgold earlier this week.
But it was their thrilling 1-0 victory at Bethel Park last week that provided an exclamation point to the regular season.
“The girls won (against Bethel Park) because they played with heart,” said Caley Troutman, Baldwin's first-year head coach. “They set the goal to win the section at the beginning of the season, and they played to win at Bethel.
“They gave everything. The last 10 minutes, the defense and goalie Liz Spegar blocked shot after shot. A few saves were made off the goal line. They were determined to keep the ball out of our net.”
Carly Baumann, a senior forward/center midfielder, netted the game-winning goal off a free kick for the Lady Highlanders, who posted 14 shutouts through 17 games in 2013.
“Defensively, Kelsie Balsam was a huge part of our success (this year),” Troutman said. “She also assisted on Carly Baumann's goal.”
Baldwin and Bethel Park played to a 0-0 stalemate in their first meeting in September.
The Lady Highalnders also defeated and tied Mt. Lebanon, another South Hills rival, by 1-0 and 0-0 scores this season.
“I'm really proud of the team and how they are playing right now,” Troutman said. “We need to keep it going into the playoffs.”
Through 16 games, Amanda Grmusa, a senior midfielder, and Katy Pearson, a senior forward, led the Lady Highlanders in goals scored with 16 and 15, respectively.
Ray Fisher is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at 412-388-5820 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Gorman: ‘Doc’ sitting on 300th win
- High school roundup: Peters Township, USC girls tie in battle of top teams
- Baldwin boys soccer team bolstered by strong international influence
- Ringgold flourishing as it changes formation, moves players to new positions
- Burrell’s Mazary hopes prolific scoring aids push for playoffs
- Valley notebook: Burrell goalie makes most of opportunity
- Charleroi, Fedrick get past Char-Houston, 4-1
- Kittanning girls soccer battles through low roster numbers
- West Mifflin girls soccer battling for playoff spot
- Quaker Valley girls soccer team searches for consistency
- Penn Hills girls soccer squad looks to second half of season for turnaround