A-K Valley roundup: Lady Foxes blank Mt. Lebanon for elusive playoff win
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Motivated by opening-round playoff losses in each of the past three seasons, the Fox Chapel girls soccer team reversed its fortunes Saturday and advanced to the quarterfinals.
The fourth-seeded Lady Foxes blanked No. 13 Mt. Lebanon, 2-0, in a WPIAL Class AAA first-round game at James Burke Stadium.
It was the team's 13th shutout of the season.
Taylor Cohen and Deena Debaldo scored for Fox Chapel, off assists from Lauren Kelly and Theresa Scheiffarth.
“The key for today was that we all worked together as a team to connect our passes and all put in our best effort,” Cohen said. “It's an amazing feeling to move on after how well we have played this whole season.”
Goalkeeper Vanessa Blazer played all 80 minutes and earned the shutout.
Fox Chapel (17-1-1) advances to play Upper St. Clair (10-5-2) on Wednesday.
Springdale 2, Charleroi 0 — Casey Hughes and Emma Whelan each scored goals to lift No. 8 Springdale (12-6-0) to a Class A first-round win at Belle Vernon.
Springdale advances to play the winner of No. 1 Greensburg Central Catholic (14-1-0) and Mohawk (10-9-0) in Wednesday's quarterfinals.
Bethel Park 1, Plum 0 — Tatiana Ruzzini scored the lone goal with 12 minutes left in the first half to lead No. 6 Bethel Park (16-2-1) past No. 11 Plum (14-4) in a Class AAA first-round game.
Bethel Park will play Gateway (10-7-1) on Wednesday.
Central Valley 9, Freeport 1 — Freshman Carolina Lucci netted six goals as No. 2 Central Valley (16-0-0) topped No. 15 Freeport (10-8-1) in a Class AA first-round game.
Goalkeeper Lauren Hamilton made five saves in the win.
Megan Manke had Freeport's goal and goalie Raine Carney made 14 saves.
Hopewell 3, Knoch 1 — No. 8 seed Hopewell (13-4-0) downed visiting No. 9 Knoch (12-6-1) in a Class AA first-rounder.
Olivia Sharbaugh scored for Knoch.
Mohawk 1, Riverview 0 (OT) — Riverview (7-11-0) fell to Mohawk (10-9-0) in a Class A preliminary-round game at Fox Chapel.
Mohawk scored about three minutes into overtime.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Kittanning soccer snaps 33-game losing streak
- Greyhounds win battle of unbeatens
- Geibel boys secure 4th straight shutout victory
- Butler girls soccer team seeking top 3 finish in rugged section
- Springdale boys collect win in double overtime
- Sewickley Academy girls soccer team hits its stride
- Yough girls soccer remains Section 1-AA power with deliberate, defensive style
- Seneca Valley’s Lang embracing senior soccer season
- Mars soccer team off to hot start thanks to stingy defense
- Knoch boys soccer team piling up goals, victories
- Charleroi ready for showdown