Share This Page

Carlynton boys soccer continues resurgence

| Wednesday, Oct. 23, 2013, 9:00 p.m.

The resurgence for Carlynton boys soccer is far from over.

After a lowly 1-14 record in 2011, first-year coach Charlie Dagnal led the squad to a 13-4-2 record and appearance in the WPIAL Class A quarterfinals last season.

The turnaround continued this season as the team finished the regular season 11-6 — including an 8-4 mark in Section 3-A play — to finish second.

“It has nothing to do with what I have done,” Dagnal said. “We just put our guys into position to be successful. The coaches aren't the ones playing out there. To say we have reached the playoffs my first two years is just a testament to the youth programs bringing up kids who can play.

“I don't have a magic wand that makes these kids good overnight. It speaks volumes about the community.”

While last year's team had six seniors out to prove they were better than a one-win team, the 2013 squad has a bit of a youth movement afoot. The team had only one starting senior most of the season — center forward Jeff Henke — so it had to rely on several underclassmen for production.

“We relied on the seniors a lot last season,” sophomore mid/forward Emanual Burton said. “They wanted to get better than 1-14, so they had a lot of energy. This year we want to prove it just wasn't the seniors who made last year's team good.”

The Cougars opened the year 0-3 with losses to North Hills, McGuffey and Bishop Canevin and were outscored 12-0.

“That was my fault,” Dagnal said. “We were not prepared. We are playing a different formation now. Our team now would beat that team 5-0.”

Since then, the team has gone 11-3 with two of the losses coming to Section 3-A champ and one of the top seeds in the playoffs Seton-La Salle. The Cougars outscored opponents 65-17 during the run.

“The Bishop Canevin loss was a wake-up call,” junior mid/forward Logan Shuler said. “We scored a lot more goals in the second half of the season after we switched the formation.”

The team has used a 3-4-3 formation that allows Carlynton to apply heavy pressure on opponents and use turnovers to create scoring opportunities.

The team got a bit of good news when senior defender Brock Hoffman was cleared to return to action after battling a lower body injury. Added experience can only help the team as it tries to get more than a single win in the playoffs.

Last season, the Cougars defeated Vincentian Academy, 2-1, in a shootout in the first round before falling to Sewickley Academy, 4-0, in the quarterfinals.

“I think the one win made us hungry,” junior defender Ted Ford said. “We don't just want to one win game and be satisfied. We would like to go deeper.”

Their coach fully believes the team has the ability to make a run in the playoffs. It would just be another step in the right direction for the program.

“We are dangerous, plain and simple,” Dagnal said. “When we go forward with the ball, we are dangerous. We have had success against every team we have played, even when we lost 5-0 or 6-0.

“The playoffs a lot of times come down to if you are fortunate enough to get good bounces. That can be the difference if you play late into October or not.”

Carlynton played Peters Township in the opening round of the Class A playoffs earlier this week. Results were unavailable at press time.

Nathan Smith is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at nsmith@tribweb.com or via Twitter @NSmith_Trib.

TribLIVE commenting policy

You are solely responsible for your comments and by using TribLive.com you agree to our Terms of Service.

We moderate comments. Our goal is to provide substantive commentary for a general readership. By screening submissions, we provide a space where readers can share intelligent and informed commentary that enhances the quality of our news and information.

While most comments will be posted if they are on-topic and not abusive, moderating decisions are subjective. We will make them as carefully and consistently as we can. Because of the volume of reader comments, we cannot review individual moderation decisions with readers.

We value thoughtful comments representing a range of views that make their point quickly and politely. We make an effort to protect discussions from repeated comments either by the same reader or different readers

We follow the same standards for taste as the daily newspaper. A few things we won't tolerate: personal attacks, obscenity, vulgarity, profanity (including expletives and letters followed by dashes), commercial promotion, impersonations, incoherence, proselytizing and SHOUTING. Don't include URLs to Web sites.

We do not edit comments. They are either approved or deleted. We reserve the right to edit a comment that is quoted or excerpted in an article. In this case, we may fix spelling and punctuation.

We welcome strong opinions and criticism of our work, but we don't want comments to become bogged down with discussions of our policies and we will moderate accordingly.

We appreciate it when readers and people quoted in articles or blog posts point out errors of fact or emphasis and will investigate all assertions. But these suggestions should be sent via e-mail. To avoid distracting other readers, we won't publish comments that suggest a correction. Instead, corrections will be made in a blog post or in an article.