Leader Times roundup: Karns City girls pitch playoff soccer shutout
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It was a cold night for playoff soccer at Karns City, but there were plenty of hats to go around.
Breann Wood, Megan McCartney and Emily Lopresti all had hat tricks for the top-seeded Gremlins, who began the defense of their District 9 girls soccer title with a lopsided win over Clarion, 11-0, on Wednesday in the Class A quarterfinals.
Brianna Brusamonti scored the other two goals for Karns City, which will face No. 5 Elk County Catholic in the semifinals at 5 p.m. on Tuesday at Clarion University.
Karns City 1, DuBois Central Catholic 0 — Spenser Myers scored the only goal just after the 60-minute mark of the match to give No. 1 Karns City a hard-fought District 9 Class A quarterfinal win at home.
Derek McElravy assisted on Myers' goal, and David Olszak recorded the shutout for Karns City. The Gremlins will face No. 4 Brockway in the semifinals at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Clarion.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Steelers hope new faces breathe life into team
- Westmoreland women stole thousands to finance dog show appearances
- Inside the ropes: Shazier shows off speed
- Rutgers football coach says Scarlet Knights, Big Ten is ‘a tremendous marriage’
- Steelers notebook: Team hasn’t called on Keisel, Harrison yet
- 1 intruder killed, other shot and wounded in Carrick home invasion
- Sewickley Township man got food stamps, $206K in gas well royalties, investigators say
- Pittsburgh Brewing Co. tries to reconnect with region, return to glory days
- Killer sharks are taking over the air, and the airwaves
- Grand jury report says Western Psych failed to cooperate with police
- Hiring in shale industry shifts to skilled workers