Leader Times roundup: Karns City girls pitch playoff soccer shutout
TribLIVE Sports Videos
It was a cold night for playoff soccer at Karns City, but there were plenty of hats to go around.
Breann Wood, Megan McCartney and Emily Lopresti all had hat tricks for the top-seeded Gremlins, who began the defense of their District 9 girls soccer title with a lopsided win over Clarion, 11-0, on Wednesday in the Class A quarterfinals.
Brianna Brusamonti scored the other two goals for Karns City, which will face No. 5 Elk County Catholic in the semifinals at 5 p.m. on Tuesday at Clarion University.
Karns City 1, DuBois Central Catholic 0 — Spenser Myers scored the only goal just after the 60-minute mark of the match to give No. 1 Karns City a hard-fought District 9 Class A quarterfinal win at home.
Derek McElravy assisted on Myers' goal, and David Olszak recorded the shutout for Karns City. The Gremlins will face No. 4 Brockway in the semifinals at 7 p.m. Tuesday at Clarion.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pens get physical, trade Goc for Blues’ Lapierre
- Ford City police coverage sparks concern from EMS director
- Cowansville veterans center closing in on roof project funding goal
- Workers eager to get started on Kittanning trail project
- Elizabeth keeps millage rate flat, but council considers 2016 fire tax
- Now a Patriot, RB Blount’s thrilled to have moved on from Steelers
- Pirates trade Snider to Orioles for minor league pitcher
- Letang produces 5 assists in return as Penguins defeat Jets, 5-3
- Receiver cites progress in touting improved Duquesne City School District
- Winfield man is one of a few to attend all 49 Super Bowl games
- Supporters optimistic about passage of medical marijuana in Pennsylvania