Gateway girls soccer team falls to Bethel Park, 3-1
TribLIVE Sports Videos
The Gateway varsity girls soccer team saw its season come to an end Wednesday evening with a 3-1 loss to Bethel Park in a WPIAL Class AAA quarterfinal game at Elizabeth Forward High School.
It was the second year in a row the Gators' season ended at the hands of the Black Hawks.
Last year, Bethel Park stopped Gateway's run in the WPIAL consolation game.
The Gators, the 2013 playoffs' No. 14 seed, finished their campaign 10-8-1 overall.
Sophomore Kayla Trozzi scored Gateway's lone goal in Wednesday's contest.
She also tallied the first goal in the Gators' upset victory over No. 3 seed North Allegheny in the first round on Saturday.
Trozzi was injured in the North Allegheny game, and there were fears she might not be able to play against Bethel Park.
But in the days following the game with the Tigers, her condition improved to the point where she was able to play.
Bethel Park scored twice in the first half and took a 2-1 lead into the break. The Black Hawks, 17-2-1 overall, scored an insurance goal in the second half and will face No. 2 seed Peters Township in the semifinals on Monday.
Bethel Park senior Tatiana Ruzzini scored two goals for Bethel Park against Gateway. She also had her team's lone goal in a first-round win over Plum.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Pirates notebook: Taillon headed for surgery, Richard traded
- Russian winger Plotnikov could join Penguins in August
- Ex-teammates say Kessel unfairly criticized
- Pirates can’t overcome long rain delay, Indians in interleague setback
- New Penguin Kessel’s shot is what makes him special
- Bethel trio of siblings celebrate 150 years of marriage
- Homewood West woman charged after stabbing woman during card game
- Tiny black weevils booming in W.Pa.
- Man fatally shot in East Liberty; police investigating 2nd shooting
- America’s path to freedom reflected in region’s numerous historic sites
- City police investigate death in Squirrel Hill