High school roundup: No. 6 Bethel Park girls edge USC in consolation game
TribLIVE Sports Videos
Freshman Marisa Johnson scored off a cross from Hayley Hulbert with eight minutes remaining in regulation to lead No. 6 Bethel Park (18-3-1) to a 1-0 victory over No. 12 Upper St. Clair on Wednesday in the consolation round of the WPIAL Class AAA playoffs at Baldwin.
Tara Nath recorded four saves in the shutout, as Bethel Park advanced to next week's PIAA tournament, site and time to be determined.
Moon 1, South Park 0 — Syd Schipani scored on a header from Katie Turner's corner kick to lead No. 3 Moon (20-2) to victory in the WPIAL Class AA consolation game at Chartiers Valley.
Sewickley Academy 1, New Brighton 0 — Sophia Werner scored the winner with 32:40 to go in regulation to lead No. 7 Sewickley Academy (12-7-3) to victory in the consolation final of the WPIAL Class A playoffs. Sewickley Academy clinched a PIAA playoff berth.
Canon-McMillan 4, Bethel Park 1— No. 11 Canon-McMillan (17-3-2) scored early and often in a Class AAA consolation match win over Bethel Park (15-6-1) at Baldwin. Josh Kruczek scored twice, with his first coming less than two minutes in. Ivan Viveros and Bryan Sontag rounded out the scoring for the Big Macs.
Seton-La Salle 3, Serra 2 — Kevin Hudson scored twice as No. 2 Seton-La Salle (17-3-1) won in the WPIAL Class A consolation match. Tyler Grebur scored twice for Serra (14-5-1), which lost in the consolation game for the second consecutive year.
Plum 30, Greensburg Salem 22 — Plum (1-9) ended a 25-game losing streak with a Week 10 victory. Zach Martin scored two touchdowns and Nick Robb returned a kickoff 78 yards for a score and intercepted a pass at the Plum goal line with 11 seconds to go to seal the victory. Lenny Greback had three touchdowns and 150 yards rushing for the Golden Lions (3-7).
Vincentian Academy 16, Northgate 6 — Michael Tappe threw a 40-yard pass to Jake Thomas to put Vincentian Academy (4-6) up for good in a nonconference win.
Show commenting policy
TribLive commenting policy
- Late win streak sparks Steel Valley girls
- Franklin Regional girls soccer clinches playoff spot
- Franklin Regional boys soccer ready to turn focus to playoffs
- Red cards frustrate Jeannette boys soccer coach
- Plum boys soccer hoping for good things in section finale
- Greensburg high school roundup: Franklin Regional tops No. 1 Fox Chapel boys
- Season one of growth for Gators squad
- Multi-sport soccer players abound in WPIAL
- Moon girls turn into WPIAL contender
- Despite several unknowns to start the season, GCC boys clinch Section 1 title
- Experience, familiarity giving Canevin girls soccer a boost